Greencastle, PA to Largo, FL - Rose Pedals in Florida - CycleBlaze

December 29, 2021 to January 1, 2022

Greencastle, PA to Largo, FL

Goodbye 2021. Hello 2022.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! 

I shortened my visit in Arizona by 4 days and flew to Baltimore, MD to see Matt and meet his family!! I cannot express in words how excited I am to see him. Some might understand the feeling of winning the lottery or knowing your long awaited, best of everything has finally arrived. That's how I feel about Matt. Add all positive, exciting and awesome expressive emojis here LOL.

Great tailwinds blew me into Baltimore early. Matt was waiting for me as soon as I came out of the terminal past TSA. He greeted me with open arms, long hugs and kisses. It was so good to see him and be in his arms again! 

As we walked through the airport, he told me there was a man named John from Austin that forgot his cell phone. John was stranded at the airport with no way to get in touch with his niece who was to be picking him up at the airport. After brainstorming with John, Matt offered to drive him to his destination. John knew the address so that was very helpful.  After dropping John off nearby, Matt and I were on our way to spending the remaining days together before our flight back to Florida, December 30th.

We had a great time at dinner with his Dad and Mom, Tom and Betty was awesome! I can see where Matt gets his sense of humor. His parents have such a love for each other and Key West.

Betty, Matt, Rosie and I
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our time in PA and MD was spent with family, on adventure, helping others, visiting friends and even our first time snowboarding. We laughed and moaned as we made it down the mountain each twice in one piece....not without slight injury, but we had a great time together. 

Rosie was trying to convince Betty's bunny that her horn was not edible.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rosie tried the bunny kibble and said no thanks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All smiles after snowboarding!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Late in the evening on December 29th, Matt and I were notified that our flight was cancelled. We spent the next few hours exploring our options. We were sure most of the traveling population were exploring all options as well. Over eight hundred flights were cancelled that week. I feel blessed to have made it from Arizona to Baltimore on Monday and so very glad to be in lifes boat with Matt. 

We decided to rent a car and drive back to Florida. We picked the car up early December 30th insuring Plan B. We stopped at his parents house for a quick visit and to say our goodbyes, then were on our way south.

We made it as far as North Carolina and stopped for the night. The next day we made a beeline for Savannah. On our way to Savannah, I saw the road conditions first hand. Earlier in the fall of 2021, I had suggested Matt not skip Savannah on his way to Florida. Although, I am glad he went there, I am unhappy with the treacherous the route was.  Many miles of US 17 in Georgia have absolute minimal to negative easement if that were even possible.

Please beware of US 17 in Georgia. Logging trucks, construction barricades and piss poor google cycling directions only add to the lack of safe passage in Georgia. 

Construction barricade on US 17 heading South to Savannah. Google cycling map takes cyclists on this route.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to Savannah with a few hours of sunlight to spare. Matt knew of a free ferry that takes you across the water to the busy waterfront in Savannah. We hopped on  and spent the evening in Savannah before we were back on the road.  We ended our night in Brunswick,  GA.

Rosie's first ferry ride!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Closing out December with Matt along the Savannah waterfront.
Heart 2 Comment 0
December 31st, 2021 Savannah, Georgia
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next day we toodled towards St. Pete via I 95 and I 4. We stopped in at my friend Melissa's house to pick up a missed package from earlier in the month then rolled to Largo.

We made a quick stop in Tampa at the Lemon Thai restaurant off Kennedy for some delicious thai cuisine.

Who knew unicorns liked crab rangoons?
Heart 0 Comment 0

As soon we arrived at storage and opened our door to our bikes, they seemed to say "We missed you!!" We gathered our bikes and gear. Strategically we put everything in the rental car and headed to the hotel.

All this stuff going on the bikes....maybe not.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our evening was spent doing repairs and culling/packing our gear. By 10pm we were hungry and we tried for a pizza. No dice. So we went to Denny's in Largo. I think the  Charlie Daniels Uneasy Rider 88 song was playing faintly in the background as we sat down to eat.  Near midnight we finally for our bill, paid and left. That was an experience neither Matt or I wish to repeat.

Tomorrow we ride at dawn or noon....whenever LOL!!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad to see the 2 of you together again and glad you made it back to Florida! I look forward to reading about your travels!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago