Brooksville to Dunedin - Rose Pedals in Florida - CycleBlaze

December 13, 2021

Brooksville to Dunedin

All Hail the Praises for the Trails!!

Well rested and knowing we had a long day ahead of us. Matt and I got on the road mid morning. 

Did I mention how superb it is to ride on multi use trails? Today was no exception!

We started off on the Suncoast Trail then transitioned to Starkey Bike Park to a wide multi use path along Starkey Boulevard to Pinellas trail.

Along the way we stopped at a picnic table in the midway through the Starkey Wilderness.  It is such a beautiful wilderness area that includes the glimpses of the Florida Trail. I could hear Matt say, I've been here, camped there! Its wonderful to be traveling with such an adventurous spirit!  

The Starkey Wilderness is full of a variety of pines and saw palmetto palms as far as the eye can see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we exited the wilderness, we made a stop at a great little country chic store, the Starkey Market. We sat down for a spell and rehydrated. I could spend some time there for sure!

Watching our time, we got back to it shortly. We were at a busy intersection, when Eagle Eyes spotted the trail across the intersection. Google cycling maps were sending mixed signals. As we crossed the intersection, a trail angel stopped us. His name was Jeff. He was from the area, trying out his new belt driven bike. He asked to join us and show is the newer paths.

Jeff rode with us all the way to US 19 and Keystone Rd on the outer cusp of Tarpon Springs. Jeff had alot of questions about our tours and shared invaluable local knowledge. It was near dark thirty, before we exchanged info and he turned back to go home.

Matt and Jeff cycling into the sunset
Heart 1 Comment 0

Matt and I safely crossed the very busy US 19 and made our way to through Tarpon Springs and onto the Pinellas Trail.

Granted this trail is closed at sunset, but Matt and I were burning daylight and calories to get to our destination in Dunedin. It's not the safest trail to be on at night, yet with Matt with me, I felt safe. Riding bikes on a trail in the dark together, good times even at mile 50 for the day.

We came to a overpass. As we were crossing above, there was a girl on a trike in the crosswalk below. She did not have lights on as she entered the crosswalk. A turning truck almost hit her. She screamed as she abruptly stopped her trike. He got out of the truck and a confrontation ensued. Witnessing this, my right fighter instantaneously kicked in. I yelled from above "HEY! LEAVE HER ALONE!"

He got back in his truck and sped off. I am sure this reaction shocked Matt as his reaction was to get down there and diffuse the situation. He is a peacemaker and I think I might be related to the Sons of Thunder. He balances me out well. The cyclist got back on her trike and rode away. Hopefully, she gets her lights on and becomes more visible at night. I think a taser lights up well, but I haven't seen this in person. Lol.

We continued on and reached our destination via our bike lights and the star light.

Feeling blessed, tired and thankful to be at our hotel by the end of our day. Neither of us had energy left to grab dinner so we ordered in.  Pizza, loaded fries and meatballs Yum! 

Dinner for two after a 55 mile ride into a little piece of paradise. Dunedin, Florida
Heart 1 Comment 0

We grabbed showers, ate dinner and hit the sack. Looking forward to tomorrow's adventures, I was fast asleep.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 198 miles (319 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0