New River Trail - PedalPushin Southwest 2023 - CycleBlaze

January 23, 2023

New River Trail

Good-Bye Tucson … with a little smattering of rain to send us on our way. Given the number of days we have left and working through the maps, we decided to make this a drive - cycle - drive day as we worked our way to Blythe, CA to set up one more ride in Joshua Tree National Park before heading back to Las Vegas and our flight home later this week. 

So drive we did … first up to Phoenix and then a quick look at TrailLink.com to find a ride on the west side. Spotted the New River Trail which started near the ball fields for some major league teams and figured it would be a nice ride to breakup the day. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail was nice and pretty much deserted due to the 48 degree temperature with some 5 mph variable winds. If you looked towards the west, you could see partly cloudy skies, if you looked north or east, you could see threatening clouds just trying to get you to ride just a bit further. Today we won. 

It does appear that the Phoenix area has a good network of trails and definitely deserves another look in the future but we simply rode, spotted our first javelina pig, and then replaced the car for the drive to Blythe. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 344 miles (554 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0