Silver Comet to the West - PedalPushin Southeast 2023 - CycleBlaze

February 22, 2023

Silver Comet to the West

Heart 0 Comment 0

We picked Cedartown as a mid point to do a few rides on the Silver Comet Trail as well as the Chief Ladiga Trail in a few days. As I was expecting the traditional rail trail experience of mild grades and more remote riding, it was a bit of a surprise when the first 6 miles east were a series of short, steep climbs, definitely not railroad beds. I’m guessing there was a gap between the original end of,the Silver Comet and the connection to the Chief Ladiga and the trail was simply filled in. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

That climb I have now dubbed Trash Hill as it passes by a massive landfill that was quite rank for a passing cyclist. After we reached Rockmart, the normal trail experience began and I could see how folks rave about this trail. The path was now 20 feet wide, the grade was quite controlled and we felt like we were on the rail trail we had heard about. 

We cycled as far as the Brushy Tunnel before turning around to repeat our morning ride out. Perfect weather day with good tree shade and cover and the passing of Trash Hill went smoother knowing it was coming. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will head west instead to see the Alabama border and the start of the Chief Ladiga Trail.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 277 miles (446 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0