Jacksonville - Baldwin Trail - PedalPushin Southeast 2023 - CycleBlaze

February 18, 2023

Jacksonville - Baldwin Trail

Heart 0 Comment 0

38 F … I thought we were in Florida but apparently a cold front pushed through last night and we found ourselves having flashbacks to Tucson. 

So a slower morning was at hand and we waited until 10:00 to start riding but first donned cycling pants and long sleeves. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail is a wonderful ride and in typical fashion, at least by our recent experience, 20 feet wide, straight and flat … we are in Florida. About 3 miles into the ride we also had new adventure as we approached a set of train tracks, active tracks we found out. We actually had to stop and wait for a train to pass on a rail trail. The train came to a complete stop halting any forward progress by us.  After 10 minutes we decided to ride back a bit and return in hopes that the train had in fact gone through. We ran into another cyclist who told us that he got caught for an hour once and finally lifted his bike over the packed train cars. Sure glad when we returned the train was gone. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rest of the ride was quite peaceful and I’m guessing the cooler temperatures was why we didn’t see very many cyclists. At the turn around point we start to pick up more riders and unfortunately no recumbents of any kind all day. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

After riding we met up with some old friends who now live in the Jacksonville area, had a late lunch and reminisced about our joint time in Alaska in the 80’s and early 90’s. 

Tomorrow we should cross over the Florida Georgia line although we have one more ride in Florida before we continue north to ride state 48, Georgia.  

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 158 miles (254 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0