Chattahoochee River Trail - PedalPushin Southeast 2023 - CycleBlaze

February 20, 2023

Chattahoochee River Trail

Heart 0 Comment 0

New day, a little bit farther north towards Atlanta. 

We found ourselves in Columbus, Georgia today Cycling the Chattahoochee River Trail. The trail basically parallels the river of the same namesake through the city with good views of the river throughout. As you get towards the city center there are a series of rapids that apparently attracted whitewater enthusiasts. We stopped for a bit at a popular spot to watch some folks flipping and rolling their kayaks. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

After 15 miles of cycling we diverted into the city for a quick lunch at Subway before resuming our ride back to the rental May we approached the trail, we met another recumbent trikes who asked if she could ride with us. Meet Charlotte … a 72 year old lady who rides this trail quite frequently and appears to know quite a few of the cyclists we passed. She and her husband are retired military who set their roots down here. She was a wealth of information about the area, the trail, as well as which roads to take around parts of the trail which she found not friendly when asked what that meant, apparently a snake was seen on one section at some time, and she doesn’t like the bridge as she has a fear of heights. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

In addition she “knew” the way into Fort Benning at the south end of the trail and she took us on a tour complete with a quick food snack near the Army’s Airborne School. Flashbacks came for me as I was a few days out from attending airborne training in the early 90’s at this very spot. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was re-routed to the firefighter jump school in Montana as a severe training accident had happened at Fort Benning which shut down the school and landing zones for a few weeks. But it was still fun to see the jump towers, mock C-130’s, etc. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

A quick ride got us back to our rental and Charlotte continued back to her vehicle as well. Then … the drive to Atlanta to see our niece … the traffic jam 40 miles south that delayed us for 30 minutes, the roads jammed with folks wanting to simply go to fast without much thought to the others on the road. 

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 217 miles (349 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0