Yet Another Travel Day - PedalPushin Mid-South 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2022

Yet Another Travel Day

It’s been 3 years and many seasons of life since we last rode outside of our home state of Alaska. Since our last trip / tour, we’ve been honored to have two more granddaughters join the family, a move into full retirement, and my wife’s brain hemorrhage followed by a stroke. The medical emergency happened 12 hours before we were set to leave on a tour of California looking to add another state to our quest to cycle all 50 states. 

Needless to say, we went from flying and cycling to a season of recovery and rehabilitation. Fortunately we were already recumbent trike cyclists which would be a positive step towards recovery. We also upgraded our two Terratrike Tour Trikes to ICE Recumbent Trikes with e-assist in addition to also upgrading our Terratrike Folding Travellers with a small electric hub motor. 

Since that time, my wife has been able to recover 95% of her lost functionality and we are now ready to embark on another trip / tour using our Terratrike Travellers. We have one way tickets to Cincinnati, Oh and a rough plan to cycle Kentucky, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I’m sure other states will probably add to the list along the way and we are aiming towards primarily rail trails as a way to reintroduce ourselves to traveling again after these seasons of life.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith AdamsHow wonderful that your wife could recover to the extent that she has, and that you were already well-positioned to promote healing through cycling. Your story is the sort of content that Adventure Cycling likes to include in their magazine. You might consider contacting them to see if they're interested.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Keith AdamsKeith,

Interesting idea as I kept a lot of videos of my wife’s progress from days after the stroke until now. Also noticed you were in MD … we ended our 2001 Cross Country trip at the base of the Lincoln Memorial a month after 9/11. Had the place to ourselves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesWe love our ICE trikes too, and put motors on them. Glad your wife has recovered so much so you’re now off on another adventure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Larry MitchellTo Kathleen JonesI credit the cycling as the most important therapy we did following her stroke. There is something about the repetitive nature of the movement which simply helped her brain retire the broken connections.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago