Tunnel Hill State Trail, IL - PedalPushin Mid-South 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2022

Tunnel Hill State Trail, IL

A scan of the Trailink app revealed a close by trail so we jumped the border to Illinois today. The Tunnel Hill State Trail appears to be a classic rail trail and had good reviews. We started at the southern end south of Vienna and rode north. We rode a tunnel of tress accompanied us and we saw very few people but had the sound of crunchy leaves the whole way. 

When we arrived in Vienna we learned it had been one of the stops on the Trail of Tears, the forced removal of various Indian tribes to the west of the Mississippi River. After a short break, we decided to continue to the tunnel from which the trail gets its name. Again the quiet sou f of crunching leaves accompanied us until we got to the tunnel. As we had now cycled 23 miles, it was time to turn around the beat the sun back to the van. But a quick stop back in Vienna revealed a small market in the town square and we ended up chatting with a man who worked at the Dippin Dots factory in Kentucky, the whole such place in the world. We knew of Dippin Dots from our own summer fair in Alaska, but I guess they are all imported. 

As the sun was now showing the first signs of setting, we headed back to the van to find the park gates and visitor center we closed. We were greeted however with a sign on our back window asking to close and lock the gate when we left which was highly welcomed. 

Highly recommend this trail for the rail trail experience. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 512 miles (824 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0