Jackson River Trail - PedalPushin Mid-South 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2022

Jackson River Trail

Today dawned a bit cooler than what we’ve seen this trip so we donned a few extra layers before heading out on the Jackson River Trail. 

The TrailLink app we use states “Waterfalls, river views, rugged rock formations, vibrant fall foliage, and delicate flowers in the spring: These are the sights that put the scenic in Jackson River Scenic Trail. This serene rail-trail, nestled in the Allegheny Highlands of western Virginia, traces the route of what was once the Hot Springs Branch of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway. Much of the route is wooded, and you might see deer, rabbits, groundhogs, and other wildlife along the way. In addition to walking and biking, horseback riding is permitted on all sections of the trail.” and we found this description to be quite accurate. The trail was about 20 feet wide, in pristine condition, and obviously the pride of the community. Besides the few cyclists we saw, we saw a lot of walkers and runners. Runners get to enjoy markers along the way indicating distances for shorter lengths and as along as a marathon. 

We also found a nice foot bridge over the river complete with a swinging sensation and some impressive spider webs. As this was an out and back ride, the halfway point is truly the end of the trail and the ride back in the direction of the water flow was just a bit quicker. 

We then met some long time friends for dinner and some afternoon wandering which result in some time at the Humpback Covered Bridge and Mexican food for dinner. 

I can’t recommend this trail enough. Suitable for all bikes and trikes and ages.



Swinging bridge along the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall has begun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Humpback Covered Bridge west of Covington
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 350 miles (563 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0