Greenbrier River Trail - PedalPushin Mid-South 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2022

Greenbrier River Trail

Falling Springs to Seebert, WV

West Virginia! We finally find ourselves in a new state on this trip. After cycling Ohio for a week, we made the journey to West Virginia to cycle West Virginia’s premier rail trail. The Greenbrier River Trail is a 78 mile rail trail that goes from the Cass scenic Railroad Park to Caldwell.  We opted to ride from Falling Springs north to Seebert and return . We chose this section of the trail because the first section out of Caldwell was closed due to a construction issue.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The Greenbrier Trail is basically a two track gravel trail that travels along the river and gets cyclists away from the traffic. We found the trail to be rideable, but maintenance was lacking. I’m not sure if it was just the time of year or it was a while since the last maintenance had cleared the trail of brush and trees and sticks and stuff, but we found the ride to be just a bit slow. But that was OK.

Today was also my wife’s 60th birthday, and by tradition it was required that she would ride 60 km. 60 miles would have simply been too far.

The ride up was pleasant, spotting deer along the way, passing through one, very nice tunnel, and we found the miles simply melted away. When we reach Siebert, we stopped for lunch and then we got back on the trail for the return trip. Right before the tunnel, I looked up to see a rather large black bear on the trail. Before I could get my camera out the black bear headed to the trees in a full sprint.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This wasn’t the first time that we’ve cycled in West Virginia, so, unfortunately, it is not a new state to be added to our quest for all 50 states. But, our first crossing of West Virginia was at the very northern tip on our cross country trip and we have always felt that we had cheated West Virginia just a little bit and we’re glad for today where we could cycle another section.

Tomorrow we will head just a little bit east, cross the state line into Virginia and meet some old friends. We also spotted another rail trail out of the Covington Virginia area that we are looking forward to exploring.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 322 miles (518 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0