Road Trip to Lynchburg - Peaks of Otter - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2016

Road Trip to Lynchburg

On the road again . . . finally! It was a little slow getting started, which is typical for Mark and me. The plan was to head out by 3:00 PM. As it were, we left my place at 3:30. Not bad but it is a holiday weekend! So traffic was heavy and we did not arrive in Lynchburg till 8:00 PM. I actually thought traffic might get better around Warrenton, but no, not till we were south of Charlottesville.

And we had rain along the way. Sudden outbursts that seemed to be very local. Further down the road there would be no evidence of rain. None. I was OK with the rain. The more today, the less tomorrow. That's not always true of course but it sounds good.

Bumper to bumper traffic on I-66 out of Washington. The HOV-2 Lane gave us a slight, but only a slight, advantage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then it would open up for a spell . . . and then clog up again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the road to Warrenton (US-29) we hit our first rainstorm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

South of Charlottesville the driving got nice and we made good time. Lots of forested countryside and we were really getting into rolling foothills. The Blue Ridge Mountains loomed in the distance. No pics as I had taken over the driving. Tomorrow!

Eventually, we neared Lynchburg. I had forgotten how steep the grades were going down to the river. This is real mountain country. We will be climbing a lot just to get back to our car Sunday!

The climb up to Main Street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel. Welcome to the Holiday Inn. Our assembled and loaded bikes are parked curbside while Mark garaged the car.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By the time we were checked in and ready to head out for dinner, it was past 8:30. We were both hungry and decided Mexican cuisine would fit the bill for quantity and carbohydrates, so off to Lola's we went.

Chicken tortilla soup. This was a dinner unto itself. In Washington, for $6.95, you get about 1/4 this amount!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And for my entree, two chimichangas, one chicken and one beef. No beer tonight! Water only.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we climb.

The profile grade for tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0