Day 12 - Mansfield - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 9, 2019

Day 12 - Mansfield

#2 also not ridden

Today was another disappointment for those who came to climb all 7 peaks.  Yesterday was a bust because of the weather and today was the same for the climb.  It was 5C/41F at the hotel in Marysville when we started out and it never got above 12C/55F all day.  There was a cool wind and the occasional light drizzle so we were bundled up all day.  The climb was supposed to be 21km long and only 2 fellows even attempted it.  They rode up 5km at which point the temperature reached the freezing mark and there was snow on the side of the road.  Wisely they headed down and did what the rest of did which was ride to Mansfield directly.  It was still a lovely ride of 102km through lovely farm country.  We had a section of about 12km of gravel road that was pretty good except for one very steep climb that I had to walk at least part.  I stopped for a vehicle and between the steepness, the gravel on road tires and the very narrow road I couldn’t get going again so I had to walk.  The pitch was at least 16%.  Once over the top the Divine Ms M (my Moots) performed brilliantly and I quite enjoyed the run out to the highway.  We had a very quick picnic lunch in Bonnie Doon because it was chilly and were all sweaty and getting cold.  From there we road the Great Victoria Rail Trail into our destination for tonight, Mansfield.  We are a lovely resort for 2 nights.

A view of the mountains in the area this morning. If you look closely you can see the snow on the ground between the trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A curious bunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ron and Deb coming to the end of the dirt road section.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were lots of sheep on the route today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The earthen dam and lake created by the dam that flooded the original town of Bonnie Doon. The town was moved and lives on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode a good section of the Victorian Rail Trail and this is the bridge that crosses the lake created by the dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rail trail we road today, a very nice option away from the traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The map of the trail. It is 134km in length and sign posted at every km in both directions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our dinner spot for tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 704 km (437 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0