In Toulon - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2022

In Toulon

Today we're changing gears. We needed to organize ourselves to travel on the ferry that departs for Alcudia, Mallorca at 6 pm. Our bikes are in the luggage storage locker already and we plan to leave our panniers there too so that we can enjoy our day in Toulon. A bit of a twist is to also organize a separate bag for everything that we will need on the ferry as we will leave our panniers with the bikes. Primarily, this is just a change of clothes, jackets, electronics and valuables. We also want to buy some food to have a dinner that might be a bit more nutritious   than the food available on board. 

After completing the necessary mental gymnastics,  we were ready to surrender our bags to the storage locker by 10 am and check out of the L`eautel. Other than their incrediblebly silly bike parking policy, we found it a very nice place to stay. 

The clock tower behind the navy yard security is one of only two old navy buildings that survived the war. During German occupation the allies decimated the port. Makes you think about the beautiful architecture that is lost forever. Our hotel is just around the corner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A vintage wooden boat club in the port has a priority location. Note the other side of the marina where a cruise ship has arrived overnight.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A closer look at the brand new Virgin Valiant Lady with 13 passenger decks decks and capacity for 2700 passengers.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsLooking at the photo on my phone, I thought the object in the background was a BUILDING. Yowza that's one big boat.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott prefers only the ¨Bare Necessities¨.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We wandered along the port promenade checking menu boards for a breakfast that included eggs.  This is because it's the one day a year that Scott has a Denny`s Grand Slam on his mind! However, the first order of business was to check with the Sardinia Ferries office and get an understanding as to the boarding process.  It is not far away and Pat discusses the necessary protocols for taking our bikes on board with the office staff. It is funny now trying to stop using our minimal French and begin using our even more limited Spanish.  We were unsuccessful finding a restaurant and had to settle for a really good egg and potato mix in a bun from a patisserie. We sat down at nearby cafe and ordered our usual coffees and a treat to go with it. Overall it was a good way to start the day but really it was closer to lunch now as we wandered the streets of old Toulon. Unfortunately Les Halles and the market on Lafayette were both closed on Mondays. But Toulon has some excellent large old buildings worth visiting.

The Toulon opera house.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Toulon.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Scott AndersonThat wall art. Have you ever seen the Marseilles Trilogy, the three films from the 1930’s by Marcel Pagnol? I think this is a scene from Fanny, the second of the three films.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Scott AndersonI never want to play Trivia Pursuit against you Mr. Anderson. I thought it was an interesting mural. Sort of Norman Rockwell ish.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott FenwickYou caught me at a rare moment, one that surprised me too. It helps that we saw the trilogy just a few years ago after they were remastered.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Installing a new street feature.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Waiting patiently in the shopping district.
Heart 5 Comment 0

With about three hours before we needed to present ourselves to Sardinia Ferries, we decide that a public ferry would be a good way to see the Toulon harbour. Toulon has two lines, one to Saint Mandrier and one to Le Seyne. We picked the next departure that was going and it was going to Saint Mandrier in six minutes. For a cost of four euros, both of us enjoyed a 30 minute boat cruise seeing the ships in port and Toulon from the water.

Our cruise ship is the one on the left.
Heart 3 Comment 0
French navy in port.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For hundreds of years, Toulon has been a favoured harbour location.
Heart 4 Comment 0

When we arrived at Saint Mandrier we noted that the return ferry was in 45 minutes which provided sufficient time to see the marina and part of this small town. Immediately you could feel a calmness as opposed to the hustle and bustle of Toulon. We enjoyed our quiet walk and caught the next ferry back.

The marina and surrounding hills in Mandrier. A very beautiful area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Scott loves the old vintage wood boats.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis Scott does also.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mandrier Hotel de Ville (city hall).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fitting in a game of boules on your lunch break.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Upon returning to Toulon, we purchased some salads and sandwiches and walked back to the hotel to organize our bikes and equipment. Of course, cautious Pat and Scott checked in just after 3 pm for the 6 pm departure. This was the earliest check-in time available. 

Hmmm .... looking for a more nutritious dinner.....
Heart 2 Comment 0

 After a ticket and baggage security check we were ushered to the port's quite new passenger terminal building. Without any bike storage area we took over a small area near the vending machines. Fortunately the area was not very busy. The best part about arriving early was that a micro brew from Aix en Province was offering  very good beer, compliments of the port, celebrating Virgin's Valiant Lady's maiden voyage. I`ll drink to that! 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Very good beer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This guy had no reason to be so lonely. Scott kept him company! Free beer on your birthday. Does it get any better!?!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonSo I probably missed something but does that mean it’s Scott’s birthday? If so, happy belated birthday!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
KAREN JONESHappy past birthday, Scott. Excellent that you got to do something special...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

When called for boarding, we again showed our tickets and, for the first time this trip, our vaccination certificates. We held our breath as the vaccine documentation was closely scrutinized. All good.  We pushed the bikes on board and were instructed to load our bikes against the wall. There was no special facility and Scott used a bungee cord to secure them in place. At the time we did not see another cycle tourer but we did notice one when we left the boat.

We were shown our small but suitable room ¨with a porthole¨, an extra splurge, and made our way to the upper deck to have a beer and see Toulon off. The ferry takes 15 hours and tomorrow we will be waking up in Mallorca. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Good bye Toulon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hello Mallorca!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Barry DevlinHappy Birthday, Scottsky! What a special way to celebrate this milestone event.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickThanks Barry. We would have done it any way but this will always be a special memory for sure. Mallorca is beautiful.... and warm|| Saw your Denver pics. ha ha.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago