Back To Alcudia - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2022

Back To Alcudia

Sa Calobra

Today was our final day of cycling and our last ride on Mallorca.  We will be riding one of the most famous rides on Mallorca, if not the most famous and it has been one that Scott has been anxiously waiting to complete. He first read about it in Fifty Places to Bike Before You Die and although he is not making an effort to travel the world looking to check each one off, this one is compelling.  It was a very fitting way to finish off what has been a great tour for us.

We started our day having a nice breakfast at our hotel Sol Port Sóller. Breakfast started at 08:30 which allowed sufficient time for us to get to the ferry dock well before our 10 am departure. The ferry from Port Sóller to Sa Calobra was not really busy - maybe 40 people on board and about a dozen bicycles. The cost is 22 euros for each passenger and an additional euro for a bike. There is beautiful wood bench seating in the main cabin of the boat, but on such a nice day most passengers went to the top deck and our bikes were positioned between the bench seats. Seeing Mallorca from the water was worth every euro for the one hour trip along the coast.

The ferry that we took to to Sa Calobra.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These wooden benches may not be the most comfortable to sit on but they were perfect bike stands.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Passenger seating on the top deck. This is a great way to see Mallorca from the water.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We passed right by the old and new light houses leaving the harbour.
Heart 3 Comment 0
As expected, the north coast of Mallorca is very rocky.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Views of the coastline of Mallorca.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The water is a very deep blue colour.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made a brief stop in the small cove of Cala Tuent before we carried on to the  village of Sa Calobra. There really is not much in Sa Calobra except a few restaurants to serve the riders and tourists who come to see the cove and the road. When the  ferry arrives, it does not tie up physically beside a dock  but instead the boat is positioned bow forward and  two gang planks are lowered and secured to a dock. The passengers and bikes disembark along the narrow gang planks as the ship bobs and weaves in the waves and wind. It is all very frantic getting everyone and everything off the boat and there is a sense of real excitement to the process. Some passengers actually described it as terrifying. Certainly a ride worth the price of admission.

The rocky beach at Cala Tuent looked like a great place if you are looking for a secluded beach.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small hidden beach just before arriving at Sa Calobra. You can see that the water is quite turbulent and the wind is quite strong at this point.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First glimpse of Sa Calobra. A road goes up there somewhere!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sa Calobra up close.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bow first ever so gently so that the gang planks can be pushed forward and secured to the dock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pat hanging on tightly as a crew member takes her bike off the boat. Others behind are nervously waiting their turn.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another look at the ferry. After we disembarked the captain backed away and moved the boat into a bit closer docking position.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Most of the other cyclists on the boat had road bikes except for a couple with electric bikes. To ride the road out of Sa Calobra most cyclists first ride down the serpentine hill to the small town and then turn around and begin the ride back up. However the ride down, which also looks like a lot of fun, is eliminated if you arrive by water like we did.

We took our time preparing for the slightly less than 700 metre climb known simply as the Sa Calobra. It is approximately 10 kms with a 7 percent gradient. We both knew that the twisty road to the top of the mountain would be a challenge and one that we would always remember. After cycling for several weeks, our legs and lungs would never be more ready. The weather was great too, as there were a few clouds and the temperature was cooler than the last few days. 

It is truly an amazing road shared with cars, buses and many other cyclists. We were not fast but nor did we feel a need to stop except to take pictures of the amazing scenery and even more incredible road. Everyone joked with us as they passed by us on our little wheeled Fridays and Scott`s full pannier loaded bike! As a group we all were enjoying the challenge  and the beauty of Sa Calobra.

The view from the bottom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful scenery. You must look carefully for the road as it switches back and forth across the slope.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back toward the water and the road behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Full of hairpin corners, 26 in total.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pat going strong.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Can you see the bus in this picture? There are roads in there!
Heart 2 Comment 0
An amazing road to look down on from above.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In some places there were a lot of cars going down but we did not really notice very many going up when we were on the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mind boggling.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSeals the deal. We’re looking at the calendar to see where Mallorc is going to fit in.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Getting near the top. Time for a facebook photo of a very pleased lady.
Heart 4 Comment 3
KAREN JONESYou rock, Pat!!!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo KAREN JONESKaren.....what about me....I am the guy with the bags!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
KAREN JONESTo Scott FenwickHa ha! It was your birthday gift, Scott!! :-D Seriously, this looks like an amazing feat of endurance, especially as I had to walk my bike up parts of Capilano Rd on my first ride of the year...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Getting closer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cyclists look so small in the big landscape when we are so far away.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Happy to be at the top but there are still some more hills to climb before this day is over.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Can we say that the top came too soon and we were sad that it ended? The challenge had been met and the main feature completed; now it was going to be 1000 metres of downhill from here. The downhill portion from Lluc to  Pollença  was particularly sweet as it was a twisty smooth surface road with nicely rounded banked corners. We were both smiling all the way down. 

The ultra smooth cornering road to Pollença was a delight to ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived back at the Hotel Ivory Playa at 4 pm. Being familiar with the hotel we left our bikes in the storage, checked into room and retrieved the bags that we had left behind from  the luggage room. Climbing the stairs to the second floor we  knew that our legs were very tired. After showering we headed pool side for what had become our routine at  the Ivory Playa- an after the ride bowl of pasta and a well deserved beer.

We had one more exciting event to finish the day. Two other cycleblazers, Ann and Steve Maher-Weary, were staying in another hotel close by and agreed to meet with us for a drink at the Hawaii Bar Restaurant. It is great fun meeting other couples who share our love for cycle touring and have an opportunity to  talk about our experiences. We have been so fortunate to now have met two cycleblaze couples on Mallorica.

The Maher-Wearys meet up with the Fenwicks at the Hawaii Bar Restaurant in Alcudia, Mallorca.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Pat and I shared a giant kabob for dinner.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving room for dessert, we had the brownie with ice cream.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tomorrow we leave Mallorca by ferry to Barcelona where we will stay for three nights to complete the trip. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,129 km (701 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonI’m sorry to see your trip come to an end, as I imagine you are too. Great journey and a great journal!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
KAREN JONESWhat a fantastic adventure and such an accomplishment! Well done, guys! Looking forward to more stories...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. Coming from you, Pat and I take that as a real compliment. The tour worked out very well and we loved every day of it. Having such nice weather always helps. Now that I have more time, I can catch up and following along with you and Rachael. Looking very forward to the UK portion. Thanks again.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Barry DevlinMallorca looks awesome - and lots of rocks!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago