To Alcudia - You lead me away from home, just to save you from touring alone - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2022

To Alcudia

This entry will  be short and sweet as we are falling behind on our journal and need to get caught up.

We arrived in Alcudia exactly on schedule at 9 am. We both slept like babies and did not wake up until 1.5 hours before the ship`s arrival. Really not much to do on the boat at 08:00 so we wandered around the ferry a bit and Scott had an espresso. Getting off with our bikes was easy and not nearly as terrifying as previous experiences on such large boats. One odd experience was that we were asked to use  masks when we boarded, but few people used them on board. When it was time to leave the ferry many people crowded into the narrow hallways while they waited to be allowed to proceed to the car deck.  We sure did not want any part of that and kept our distance!

The port is very close to where we will stay the next four nights and it was a nice ride as we  made our way along the waterfront.

Looking back toward Port de Alcudia were the ferry from Toulon arrives.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Out on the road, Scott saw a van full of working men head into a local restaurant. We also stopped as we knew it would likely be a good place for breakfast. We both ordered omelettes with tomatoes and our usual coffees - an espresso and a cappuccino.  The total bill was only 12 euros. We asked if there was an error but the coffees were all part of the deal. I think that we will like Spain!

Upon reaching our hotel we were given the run down of the place including the bike storage process. The storage is at a bike shop across the street and the cost is four euros per day for each bike but it includes a daily pasta dish from the pool bar after 3 pm. Just in time for a carbo reload!

The beach is just a short walk down the road from our hotel.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We put everything in the hotel's luggage storage room and took our bikes out for short ride through an ecological reserve that appeared to have been a canal system to irrigate fields for crops previously. Now it is home to many bird species. We returned to our hotel at 1:30 and our room was ready = it is in a perfect spot on the 2nd floor looking directly over the pool. The rest of the afternoon was spent lounging by the pool drinking beer. Ah, the good life.

Life is good!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Full on biker tan! Pat thinks a few more days by the pool are definitely required!
Heart 4 Comment 4
Eva WaltersIs that the Ivory Playa Hotel where you're staying? It sounds like the same arrangement with the bike storage and afternoon pasta. We really enjoyed our time there in 2013. There are so many scenic day rides from there on quiet farm roads. We'd do that one again!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo Eva WaltersYes Eva it is the Ivory Playa. I did give you credit in the introduction for your wonderful journal and leading us to stay here in Alcudia. It is a nice place to spend time. Thank you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Barry DevlinIndeed - like a nice pool side vacation in Puerto Vallarta with Angelica and Barry!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
KAREN JONESTo Barry DevlinWould you let Scott into the pool with that Canadian farmer's tan?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

 In the evening we walked about 2 kms checking out the 'hood and found a great restaurant where we had tapas for our first night in Spain. We shared an ice cream cone on our way home. Upon returning  to our room and there was this great magic show going on on the stage right bellow our balcony. We had great seats in a private box to enjoy the show.  The magician was incredibly entertaining and we were often we were in a state of amazement.

That was our first day in Alcudia in the bag. With two days off the bike Scott is itching for a ride tomorrow; Pat, though, is still not yet there!

Our restaurant. The weather here is perfect for dining outside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Made us chuckle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tapas for our first night in Spain. Lots of choices there.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 803 km (499 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
David MathersHi Scott and Pat,
We’re cycling to Campenet, Buger and sa Pobla tomorrow so if you’re interested in meeting up let us know. It will require cycling and takes away from pool time 😎
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo David MathersDavid and Anne

Thanks for the routing suggestions. Three points not really on my radar. Will try to be in Buger say around noon. Is that close to a possible schedule for you guys? We can be later as well if that is better.

Looks like a one street town and with a cafe --- Forn Can Rafel. Bit of a moving target but we will do our best. Just to add to the challenge, we travel without cell phones.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersTo Scott FenwickGood morning Scott,
Buger is the perfect place to meet. Can we try for 11:00 am as the day is going to be hot 🥵
David
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott FenwickTo David MathersSure 11:00 will work for coffee. Catching up on your journal, I thought I would be looking for a couple of Fridays but I see now to be on a couple of hot racing machines.......but they are everywhere! See you soon.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersTo Scott FenwickPerfect, see you then.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago