To San Lorenzo Al Mare - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2022

To San Lorenzo Al Mare

Today the weather was getting back on track, the rain had passed through and only dry weather is forecasted. We quickly booked a place to stay tonight further along the Italian Riveria at San Lorenzo Al Mare.  We thought that Hotel Dei Fiore would have a good breakfast and it did not disappoint.   The ride today was relatively short but it was packed with a variety of different sights and experiences. It had three separate sections: the coast, then inland and finally back to the coast. From start to finish it was an exceptional ride.

Before leaving town, we stopped at the Mureeto di Alassio, a famous landmark. It has been described as a cross between public art and the Hollywood walk of fame. On the wall are tiles hosting the names of many celebrities including Ernest Hemmingway who was one of the first in 1953.

Leaving Alassio we slowly rode along the seawall for a few kilometres to the historic fishing village of Laiguegia. We weaved our way along the waterfront of this very pretty town before joining up with the main SS1 road and slowly climbed up and around the headland.

Our hotel in Alassio. We started a bit later waiting for the day to warm up and dry the road surfaces after yesterday's rain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Muretto di Alassio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Artwork on the Muretta,
Heart 3 Comment 0
Two other painted tiles. The wall is full of interesting artwork.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Italy`s 1982 World Cup championship team.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The seawall leading from Alassio with Laiguegia in the distance. We will ride up the road and around the headland.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The beach was full of volleyball courts as Laiguegia had just hosted an international beach volleyball tournament over the weekend.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Laiguegia and looking back at Alassio.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Laiguegia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sandcastle in Laiguegia.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Like many of the seaside village in the Liguria, Laiguegia.is an historic fishing village.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sea side of the tunnel is open. Traffic on the SS1 was quite light today as we went through a couple of these tunnels along the coast. Lighter traffic maybe a result of the larger A10 Autostrada being right nearby.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Second hill of the day and going strong.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We stopped in Cervo and this gentleman made us a couple of sandwiches to take for our lunch.
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we reached Diano Marina we left the highway and started to ride away from the Mediterranean to an inland road that took us past a number of small villages. This was a great section of road as we slowly climbed along the switch backs. With all the stopping for photos the elevation gain was not hard. We passed through the villages, Diano Calerina,  Diano Alderina, Diano Serreta and Dano Gorleri that all make up the municipality of Diano Marina. The area is known for its olive production. Many of the trees had nets ready to catch the olives as they ripen and fall off the trees.

The hillside above Diano Marina.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking uphill at Diano Astello, I think. We did not ride through here but it is typical of the villages in the area.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Diano Calderina.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The hills are filled with olive trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The road up as Scott sees it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Views back down toward the Mediterranean.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Diano Serreta, so pretty in the sun on the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The classic Fiat 500.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A wonderful area to cycle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Diano Gorleri is the last hamlet we passed before heading back down to the coast.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking east down upon Andora, nestled against the headland that we passed by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking West on the other side of the ridge to Imperia, the bottom of our descent.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Imperia is a larger center on the coast with a population of over 40K. Likely it is a city worth seeing but we zipped through the busy streets back to the waterfront. Although we did make one unexpected stop to look at a most amazingly realistic looking cave area that was part of a private driveway. It was through a gate and into an area where we did not belong, but we found its crumbling exterior quite fascinating. We believe the owner arrived as we were leaving, and the gates soon closed behind us.

We enjoyed our picnic lunch back near the water and carried along the seawalls and up the wrong way on one way streets as we traversed the headlands of Porto Maurizio. Slow riding but stunning views.

Cave like driveway that must have been made many years ago.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Some of the detailed work.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the seawall at Porto Maurizio.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back at Maurizio. It would have been an interesting ride, through a steep climb. We took the seawall instead.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Just past Borgo Foce we encountered an unexpected treat. Rather than rejoin the SS1 we could ride an old rail line all the way to our destination. This was a great way to finish off the last few kilometres until we turned off and headed down into the sleepy little beach village of San Lorenzo Al Mare

A dedicated bike lane created from an old rail line complete with tunnels.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fully lit and it had music playing! Such a treat.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Part of the old early warning protection system for the Ligurian coastline.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Crossing the bridge as we head to our beach front room in San Lorenzo Al Mare.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
San Lorenzo Al Mare is very small with only a few restaurants and all except one were closed on Monday night.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Our view as we leave our suite.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Out for a swim. A great finish to the day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A perfect small beach setting. Almost private.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small film crew were shooting what appeared to be an advertisement for this bike.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Live action shots.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The seaside in San Lorenzo Al Mare.
Heart 3 Comment 0
San Lorenzo Al Mare
Heart 3 Comment 0
San Lorenzo Al Mare
Heart 3 Comment 0
Watching the sun go down at the end of the breakwater and the end of a perfect day in a wonderful place.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 996 km (619 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0