To Morges - dodging the rain showers - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2022

To Morges - dodging the rain showers

The day began by untangling all our bits and pieces and placing them into their assigned homes for travel over the next several weeks. We must be getting better at our packing for tour as we had no sober second thought items to leave behind with our suitcases at the hotel. But at the same time not much spare room as we try to travel quite light.

We loaded the paniers onto our bikes and as the elevators were quite small. took separate shuttles down to street level. With the suitcases stored in the hotel's long term storage area, we were on our way. The weather was dry and appeared to be improving as wheels turned shortly after 10 am. We felt no rush as we hoped the weather would just get better and our ride was to be a pleasant planned 55 km.

We headed down toward the center of Geneva on a similar route that we completed yesterday. Arriving just above the lake we turned left onto a well-marked cycle path that would take us the entire distance to our destination today - Morges. The path varied from dedicated bike paths to a shared pedestrian paths to sharing space with vehicles, but they were always good well marked surfaces that clearly indicated where you were meant to be. To vary the journey, we would at times turn on to lesser side roads as they would take us down and along the lake shore. It was a very easy day one ride and quite enjoyable in spite of the amazingly changeable weather!

The Broken Chair at Palais des Nations. An art installation to symbolize the destruction caused by land mines.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The United Nations building in Geneva.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Round-about-bird. Later we found it to be a Martin-pêcheur d'Europe.
Heart 7 Comment 0
When the clouds lifted and the sun appeared, the views along the way were very nice with many small vineyards.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Well-marked bike lanes often separated from the traffic. The day was warming up and jackets were now off. But you can see the pavement is still damp from last night`s rain.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Down by the lake I noticed the Simplon cruising past. It looks like a sister ship of the Vevey.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our coffee stop at a marina in Nyon.
Heart 8 Comment 1
David MathersWish we were there to share a coffee stop with you ☕️☕️
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
In Nyon. It is a very attractive town with a large castle from the 12th century located high on the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving my bike on the main street, I went up a series of steps to get a picture of the castle. It appears that I needed to go up much further!
Heart 4 Comment 0
A better photo of Nyon and its castle.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Snack break down by the lake.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Waiting out the rain by a golf course. We were trying to get to the club house but had to settle for some nearby trees and a bench. There could be worse places to wait.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Small town that we rode through but cannot get the name.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Down by the lake.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Scott was amazed at this kids playground ride. It was a teeter totter that went up and down, in a circle and tilted side to side. Pat lasted about five seconds on the other side! It would be fun to see this in full action.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Interesting bike lane design with half of each lane marked off for bikes. Vehicles need to slow when approaching a cyclist and move out of their lane. The vehicle lane is so narrow that only the smallest of cars would actually fit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Second rain delay under three big trees beside the road. The golf course wait was a much prettier spot! By the time we left and the rain had stopped, there was no dry area remaining.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Finding St. Prex was a unexpected and wonderful surprise. It is a very charming village on a point of land sticking out into Lake Geneva.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Waterfront in St Prex. Pretty flowers and a pretty lady.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking across Lake Geneva to the French side from St. Prex. The day was warm with lots of clouds and some blue skies. When the sun does fully appear, it is hot!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fountain in St. Prix.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Saint Prex. The buildings were full of small workshops. From the web - ¨In 1973, St. Prex was awarded the Wakker Prize for the development and preservation of its architectural heritage.¨
Heart 5 Comment 0
The road around Saint Prex was a great ride.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We arrived into Morges in the late afternoon along the waterfront as the sun was coming out. Very pretty area. After riding another couple of kilometres along the shore path we headed back into town along the main street. The pedestrian only main street was a great place to stop for a beverage before locating our hotel. Morges is a very nice well-kept old town.

Staff at the hotel recommended two nearby restaurants, one local fondu cuisine and the other specializing in fish. We made our way in the rain to the  De l'Union restaurant where we both enjoyed the fresh lake perch and a salad. We really enjoyed the small approachable town of Morges.

The waterfront in Morges.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another lake ferry in dock at Morges, the Lausanne.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Temple de Morges built in the 13th century.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking east along the Grand rue Morges.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Looking west along the Grande Rue Morges.
Heart 1 Comment 0
End of the day beer. Worked hard at getting this shot as the camera was on a timer on the other side of the street and timing often caught others in the frame.
Heart 10 Comment 1
David MathersLove this picture and the beers look fantastic! Looks like a pretty great start to the tour...you look pretty happy. Cheers 🍻
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Umbrellas came out shortly after we got to our hotel and it rained for the next couple of hours.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 89 km (55 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0