To Menton: Arrivederci Italy, Bonjour France - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2022

To Menton: Arrivederci Italy, Bonjour France

It was very quiet waking up in our studio apartment in San Lorenzo al Mare. Out the front door we could see a few people walking by, but this small beach is really out of the way. Such a neat spot. Pat was not feeling 100% this morning and was not sure that the mussels at last night`s dinner agreed with her. There was no breakfast offered with our stay which was a good thing as she only wanted some bananas and yogurt.

Our check out is a bit different this morning as it was scheduled for 10 am. Not that that is an usual time, but our host, who we only communicate with via google translate, requested that we return the keys to him at that time. 10 o'clock worked for us and we were packed and ready to roll shortly after.

Pat was looking forward to today`s ride as the first 24kms were on the old railway line that we rode a short section of yesterday. Beginning in San Lorenzo al Mare and ending in Ospedaletti the path is a scenic 24 km route running along the Italian Riviera in western Liguria. It was a great change from being concerned about sharing the SS1 with traffic. Although, we had an opportunity for this experience later on in the ride.

The first tunnel that we encountered was a bit of a surprise as it was around 1 km in length - which is long. Halfway through the tunnel there were no lights on today. We have front lights for our bikes, but we did not put them on expecting the tunnels to be lit. Fortunately, a rider passed by with a light and we quickly fell in behind him. At the end of the tunnel, we stopped and installed our front lights!

The Capo Nero Tunnel was even longer at about 1.5 kms. In the tunnel there are overhead signs commemorating the classic Milan to San Remo bike race. With a distance of 298 km it is the longest professional one-day race in modern cycling. It is the first major classic race of the season, usually held on the third Saturday of March. The first edition was held in 1907.

The signs hanging from the ceiling provided many interesting facts about the long history of the race.   Our necks were very tired when we reached the end!

Sunset last night.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The most unique accommodation of this trip. It was a renovated cellar area of an old two story building. It was large enough to have our bikes inside. The washroom facilities are behind the wall.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Not many pictures of Scott this trip but lots of his bike.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Morning sailor and fisherman. The Med is beautiful again today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Waiting for our host on a bench in the morning sun. Our apartment has its door open.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Here is our host, Mariano, using google translate to have a conversation with Pat.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Starting the day on the pista ciclabile
Heart 3 Comment 0
A nice ride and a great day to ride too!
Heart 3 Comment 0
A number of tunnels on this route. This one looks like a short one.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Capo Nero Tunnel, 1.5km, with the overhead signs of fun facts.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI love this tunnel!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
70 per cento. It is the percentage of victories claimed by Eddie Merkx at Milano-Sanremo. Ten times competing, seven wins! The tunnel is full of fun facts.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In 1907 the start was 5:17 and the finish at 16:21. 30 years later: 7:35 and 15:06. 1970: 9:37 and 16:00. Today: 9:30 and 17:00.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old railway line was popular with riders but there was lots of room on the well-marked surface and not too crowded today.
Heart 4 Comment 0

At Ospedaletti we stopped and had a snack of treats that we had bought earlier along the route. The cycle path had officially ended but we still made our way along the waterfront riding seawalls, dedicated bike lanes, small roads and pedestrian bridges.

Reaching Ventimiglia, we rejoined the highway as we made our way through the busy town. We suffered a few miscues here: crossing a one-way bridge in the wrong direction and taking a tunnel as a short cut that left us far below the road above that we needed to be on.  Sigh. The climbing began as we left the last town in Italy. Reaching the top of the headland it was a fast downhill before reaching the border between Italy and France. Although border buildings are there, no official personnel from either country were visible. 

Looking back at Ospedaletti.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Back on the shared road and sometimes with a shoulder.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Colourful pedestrian bridge that we crossed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Brand new path at Vico Arne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Climbing up over the headland past Ventimiglia provided some great coastal views. Cap Martin in the foreground and you can just make out Monaco beyond.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Grimaldi Superiore near the top of the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Made it! Switzerland to France via Italy. We completed just over 1000 kms today.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonCongratulations!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Very close to the border as we rode along the waterfront, Menton came into view. It looks like a pretty town, with the old part perched on a hill. We only booked a single night here but after reading a strong review from another Cycleblazer, we added a second. We will also need some time to plan the final few days in France and our method to get back to Geneva over the next half dozen days.

Arriving into Menton along the water and looking up at the old part of town.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWe’ll be in Menton November 25 for 5 nights. I can’t wait!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Marina area in Menton. Not much wind for the small boats in the sailing school today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At a water front bar in Menton. Pat was still not feeling great, so the end of ride beverage today was sparkling water.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonSorry you aren’t feeling well! I hope you recover quickly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
All alone.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Basilica of Saint-Michael in Menton.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. Wonderful light.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking east to the marina and the modern area of Menton.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Staircase from the beach area into the old part of Menton.
Heart 5 Comment 0
One of the beaches of Menton.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These colourful, old buildings have great views of the beach and marina. The road into town runs along the archway and a plaza is below.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Dinner was at a casual Asian style street food restaurant. Tomorrow will be spent in Menton, seeing the town and planning the last days of our tour.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 1,041 km (646 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyPat hope you are feeling better soon.
Very interested in your ride along the coast from Italy to France. We are considering it for the spring and I am reassured reading your blog that it is doable. I know it is late on the beach season for you guys. For us it might be late June which may be too busy. Loved seeing Scott swimming in October!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersGreat photos today 👍 Cheers to sparkling water 💦
Reply to this comment
1 year ago