To: Chambéry and back - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2022

To: Chambéry and back

Today`s ride ticked all the boxes for a perfect way to spend a lovely Saturday with your sweetheart. The easy-to-follow level grade cycle path between Aix les Bains and Chambéry was fabulous on a warm sunny fall day. Pat declared that this was her favourite kind of cycle touring!

Starting today, there is a string of nice sunny days forecasted in the Savoie region of France. Perfect weather to complete our last few days of riding to Geneva. 

We started the day with breakfast in our room. We were not in a hurry as todays ride to Chambéry was not long. The day was just starting to warm up as we headed out from our hotel. We had not gone more than a few blocks when we noticed a busy street market and who can resist a market day in France? We love them and wish we could shop like this at home.

Garlic. Nice looking crop.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Several varieties of olives to choose from.
Heart 5 Comment 0
All ready for dinner tonight but we cannot keep it cool until we get back.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Paella!
Heart 4 Comment 1
An almond and sugar filled sweet bread for dessert.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Barry DevlinWow! Now we're talking!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonThat looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our lunch sandwiches and some treats were found here, across the street.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left town and headed down to Lac du Bourget. It has the distinction of being the largest natural lake of glacial origin in France. We easily located the bike path running right beside the lake and followed it past the end of the lake and for the next fifteen or so kilometres to Chambéry. The lake reminded of us of riding in Austria`s Salzkammergut region. The clear blue water against the steep green mountain backdrop.  Beautiful!

Lac du Bourget with the pre Alps behind.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Sailing on a Saturday morning in a nice breeze on Lac du Bourget.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A couple of cormorants. My new camera has a more powerful zoom and with the other Scott`s help, I am learning to identify a few birds.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAnd a coot, to boot. Cute!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lac du Bourget
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mountain ridge to the East. Although our ride is along the flats, the hills are not too far away.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Beautiful, scenic ride to Chambéry.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The bike path follows Le Leysse river.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had coffee at a cafe along the main street of Chambéry and later circled around the streets admiring this historic town. We had planned a different route back to Aix les Bain but were uncertain as to how busy the nearby roads might be. We elected to ride the cycle path in reverse. It was a good decision as it was as enjoyable heading North as it was going South.

All former Olympic venues. Grenoble `68, Albertville `92 and Turin `06. Must be some good skiing around here.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A busy pedestrian zone in Chambéry.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Well known 'four elephants with no bottoms' statue in Chambéry.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaves falling in the bike lane. Fall is in the air but this is a warm, 25-degree day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Fun riding on a ¨no load¨ day. An action selfie!
Heart 8 Comment 1
Scott AndersonImpressive. Great timing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Chambéry airport is at the South end of the lake. It would be a great place to see from the air, too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake side table near Aix les Bain.
Heart 8 Comment 1
David MathersPat is feeling better 👍
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another Bullmastiff. Such imposing but incredible friendly dogs.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Tick Tac Toe.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading back to Aix les Bains.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The path in the afternoon was much busier with many people enjoying the day. No need to rush.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our room has a kitchenette and a balcony, so we picked up some take away from a local vegetarian restaurant and a fresh baguette for dinner. We had a great day today and are seeing plenty of reason to come back to this area on another trip. Tomorrow, we continue on to Annecy. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,135 km (705 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0