In Menton - I suppose I could collect my bags and go back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 12, 2022

In Menton

This entry will need to be short as we are a bit behind on our journal. Scott still has university level angst over late assignments!

First things first. The breakfast at the hotel was extensive and provided something for everyone but the quality in these large hotels can be so-so. Afterwards, we organized rides, trains and hotels. This activity always seems to take quite a bit of time, but we think we have a sound plan in place to get us back to Geneva over the next five days.

Leaving the hotel, we started off by walking to Les Jardins Biovès. This narrow urban park covers a few city blocks with streets on both sides and walking paths, fountains and monuments throughout its interior. As we made our way through, it looked like the park had seen better days. It is too bad as it was obviously a wonderful oasis in the city previously, but it does take much precious water, care and time to maintain park like settings.

We then headed back to the commercial streets and toured through Les Halles, the local fresh market. Moving out and into the old part of Menton, we began working our way up the steep, narrow alleys that were just wide enough for walking. The twisty turny streets run all over the place as they make their way uphill. You need to just go with the flow, taking different street options as they come available. It is a small area so you cannot get hopelessly lost.  Pat left me part way up by the church to pursue other options along the main streets down lower.  We promised to meet back at the hotel later in the afternoon. I continued further up to the cemetery at the top of the hill.

Les Jardins Biovès.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A stop at Les Halles is always fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cheese shops are fixtures. So many excellent choices of cheese!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Les Halles in Menton is in a very attractive building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An amazing tree on the waterfront.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up we go into the old historic centre of Menton.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wonderful maze of alleys.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View looking down on the roofs of the old quarter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Menton is a larger town but not too big to walk around and enjoy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
390K Euros for 775 SF one bedroom / one bathroom fixer-upper with four floors including the roof top deck in the old part of Menton. Quite the walk up to your house so a light bike would be best. If interested See https://www.logic-immo.com/detail-vente-dad18c7f-2e35-67a0-7a2b-bfffeba47fba.htm
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Menton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bird.....
Heart 1 Comment 0
and the cat!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A number of dimly lit staircases to challenge your nerve,
Heart 1 Comment 0
This one had lights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking only.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the way down.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Before heading out again for dinner we went to the roof top bar of our hotel. The beer was a bit pricy at 10 euros but Pat`s white wine in a large red wine glass was excellent value at half the price! Dinner was down by the marina where we shared a ceviche and a grilled squid salad. 

Roof top of our hotel. The cost of the view is part of the cost of a beer....priceless.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grilled squid salad. It was excellent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ceviche. Nice presentation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The restaurant dog is such a sweety. Lays in the middle of the floor and the staff just walk over him. He loves attention.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We really enjoyed our stay in Menton and will be off to Nice tomorrow - our final ride on the Mediterranean.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0