To Radstadt - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2021

To Radstadt

the R7  Ennsradweg

Today's ride was really cycle touring at its finest. Great weather with beautiful scenery along a well organized cycleway!  We  were riding the R7 Ennsradwag that is approximately 300 kms long starting in Flachau, about 10 kms south of Radstadt, and ending at the Danube river. Many people will begin their ride in Radstadt and take several days following the Enns river downstream. We only completed a section of this epic cycleway, instead finishing in Radstadt.

 The Kirchenwirt hotel in Aiden provided us with  with a great breakfast  to start our ride  to Radstadt. We were a little late leaving the hotel with wheels turning just before 10 am but even then there were a few too many stops for photo opportunities. It was a crystal clear day and the temperature was already warm enough to ride without a jacket. This was to be a day to savour as a weather change was forecasted for tomorrow.

Loading up the bikes in the sun.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lots of geese in Aigen. We thought it was time for a wildlife shot.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Kirchenwirt in Aigen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The R2 is also very well marked and often parallels the 156 road. Initially we chose to be on the road because it was smooth and very little traffic. We returned to the R2 route at the town of Oblam and followed its twists and turns over paved and crushed stone paths for the next 50 kms. We figured we must have zig zagged across the Enns river 20 times!

This picture is for the fishermen in our family as well as some of Scott's best friends. Funny in all our riding the Enns river today, he was the only fisherman we saw.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry DevlinBetter fishin' and probably some good cycle tours in Colorado!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Some great paved sections too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Never far from the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More from our lunch time series.......
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just a great day of cycling.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So hot in the afternoon sun even the horses were hiding in their house for shade.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the more unique crossings. A single lane suspension bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pat loves these signs as she does not always trust the guy with the GPS.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry DevlinG (uy) is P (robably) S (cott)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The scenery of rolling lush green hills just goes on and on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We finally made it to the terasse for a well deserved beer and wine.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry DevlinBeer and wine are always deserved.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cycling is big for Radstadt but the ski lifts are everywhere too.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last few kilometres to Radstadt where in a forested area on crushed rock. The day was starting to feel long as we had about a 200 vertical metre gain with 500m total gain during the day. We will have to try riding downstream sometime!  We arrived at Hotel Gasthof Brueggler and were greeted by two gentlemen at the door. They grabbed all our panniers and put them in the elevator. That was a nice treat at the end of a day. When I asked if I could take a beer to the room they insisted on bringing it for me. 5* service. 

We ended the day with a light meal and went to bed early, leaving this bog for later.

Tomorrow's weather was starting to show up as we checked into our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Barry DevlinIt's all down hill...
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 424 km (263 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0