To Ptuj - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2021

To Ptuj

Short but sweet

Some days you wake up and look out the window and know that today is a perfect day for cycling. Today was one of those days in Maribor. 

As the ride today to Ptuj was short, we left Hotel S and began loading the bikes up  at 10 am. It was already warm and jackets would not be required. We returned to the main plaza in Maribor and headed over the bridge to rejoin the Drava bike route that we have been following for the  past week or so.  

After crossing the bridge and making our way down a steep incline with multiple hairpin turns the route started on a gravel cycle path right beside the Drava.  Soon we began to follow quiet back roads through residential areas and small farming communities. And finally the route transitioned to fine crushed gravel roads through  large fields. The cycle route was always very well marked and the surfaces were generally in good shape. However, it was a nice  dry day and the dirt farm roads would get messy quickly in the rain. We also did have to fight a bit of a head wind that was quite strong at times.

Pumpkins all lined up in a row. We are guessing, as the pumpkins appear to be left to rot, the seeds from this year's crop will be next year's pumpkins in nice straight lines.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A look through the window of an old barn. The cows seemed surprised to see me as did the lady farmer!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The corn is left to dry on the stocks and then every part of the plant is cut and gathered in a trailing truck. We are not sure if this is for animal feed or ethanol or what^ But corn is a major crop in these parts.
Heart 1 Comment 0

During our ride we were having a hard time finding a place for our daily coffee stop as we were not travelling through any towns.  (First world problems). Unfortunately our breakfast consisted only of breads and jam with no coffee. The restaurant in Hotel S  is closed as they were not able to arrange adequate COVID spacing for their customers.  A fairly bare bones breakfast basket was left for us on a table near our door.

This is not a great picture but it is a Drava route bike stop for cyclists to enjoy . This one is complete with a wood lounge chair! Slovenia has gone big putting in many rest areas along the Drava route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of fine asphalto as Pat and I like to call it. The surface for riding is not too bad.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The road and the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Corn as far as you can see.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Passing through Starše we noticed that the local soccer field had a small  club house with chairs out side.  Desperate for a coffee, the door to the building was open so we peaked inside. Some ladies were just setting up  a long table for a banquet. It was after all, not the coffee stop that we had hoped. We turned and were leaving when one of the ladies asked us something in Slovanian. We could only reply that we were looking for an espresso and cappuccino. She nodded approvingly and we took a couple of seats at the corner of the patio. Later she returned with our coffee order and collected two euros. As we sipped our surprisingly good beverages,  people started arriving in cars and greeting each other warmly with handshakes and hugs. They clearly knew each other and  began sitting all around us. By the  time we were finished there were at least 20 people sitting at tables talking and drinking beer and wine. Our curiosity got the better of us and Pat asked a young girl if she spoke English. Yes she did and began solving the puzzle for us. We had crashed a family birthday party!

A few more kilometres down the road we got our first sight of Ptuj with its castle on top of the hill. We stopped on the pedestrian bridge in the warm 22 degree sunshine  and we instantly knew that this medieval town  was going to be a great place to visit.

Just one look is all it took.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thinking about influencer opportunities.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Finding our hotel, the Muzikafe, was tricky as most of the access roads to this area were completely blocked due to a large construction project that in part appeared to be replacing the in ground water pipes. A small wire barrier was left open and we rode through on rough original stone surfaces. Our hosts were very welcoming and even upgraded our room to a very comfortable larger room with a sitting area. We showered, changed our clothes and went out to explore.  

From a town display, "Not many cities have been as successful as Ptuj at preserving their medieval architectural design, A walk through the oldest Slovenian city will take you past Roman monuments and medieval facades. Cobbled streets and squares will lead you to one of the most majestic castles in Slovenia."

 It is really a manageable small town that is quite walkable. We began by making our way up to the Ptuj castle. The hill had been settled since the 5th millennium BC and the medieval fortress  was built in the 11th century. The views from the grounds of the surrounding areas were great. 

One of the doors to the castle grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the Ptuj Castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A closer look at the castle rooms that now are used as a museum.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great views all around.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bridge that we crossed to enter Ptuj.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Dominican monastary founded in 1230 but abandoned in 1786.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the halls inside the monastery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I always love two buildings side by side where one is updated and the other is a project in waiting. Sort of the before and after shots. An incredible amount of work is necessary to recover the older buildings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A great place for a drink and meal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
One last picture of another Ptuj church.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After we made our way back to the river to enjoy a light dinner looking out over the river as the sun went back and forth behind the clouds. This was the end of another great day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 684 km (425 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0