To Maribor - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2021

To Maribor

There were some hills to climb

Looking out the window this morning, there was again a heavy overcast in the hills but as we left the sun was peaking through the clouds and temperatures were into double digits. The weather was shaping up to be perfect for our much anticipated ride from Radlje ob Dravi  to Maribor.

The couple that we met from Hamburg  yesterday seemed to be some how linked to our exact touring rhythm. We met at the door of the hotel, bumped into them  going for dinner last night, went for breakfast at the same time today, loaded our bikes on the street together and ended up at the same bakery! They too, would tackle the more challenging route to Maribor today.  We had much in common, including 29 year old sons, and we really enjoyed our conversations and many laughs. Michael pointed out that we were also both in the minority travelling on "normal" bikes.

Elfi and Michael riding the Drauradweg and will return from Maribor by a special shuttle for cyclists.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Michael WaltherIt was a pleasure to meet you on our "Drau Trip".
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Our new friends heading out as the skies have now turned clear but still a coolness in the air.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Radlje ob Dravi we headed back toward the Drava and crossed the bridge to rejoin the cycle route. The route took us up and down hills above the river, past homes, farms, forests and livestock. The surfaces were paved and the views on this day were great.

Looking back at Radjle ob Dravi across the Drava and up against the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Drava from the bridge crossing into Radlje ob Dravi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the distance, one of many hydro dams on the Drava.
Heart 1 Comment 0
River stream in the forested hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Who can resist a lamb. These sheep were part of a much larger group that became very vocal and all gathered around the fence to inspect us. It was quite a sight. But when I reached for the camera - they were camera shy and turned to run.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Everyone loves a curvy downhill. Jackets back on as it was cool in the shade of the forest.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A common view of this area - agricultural land against steep lush green hills. Really very nice to cycle through.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ten kilometres out we came to a road junction, and a mental junction. To the left, a train that offered to bypass the infamous hills between  Podvelka and Lovrenc na Pohorju or turn right and well, you guessed it.

Great sign providing all the information you need to make a properly informed decision. I particularly like the picture of the cyclist riding straight up!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetInteresting that the information is provided in Slovenian (presumably) and English. No German or Italian, either.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

With a turn right, our decision was made and we were treated to the most amazing views as we rode along the Velka river. The sun was at just the right angle as it shimmered on the rushing water. Lots of great photo opportunities. The hills were really not that bad on this sunny warm day. They were frequently about 3-5 percent and only hit above 10 percent nearing the top for less than a kilometre and then the downhill!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We pulled over for this tractor to pass as it struggled up the hill from the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingHe's got a good load on!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

With no cars on the road the downhill was so fast that Scott missed the turn off for Fala and had to ride back up to meet the more cautious Pat, waiting at the turn off. The road took us across a large hydro electric dam and back on to a gravel cycle path. In fact most of the remaining 15 kms were on various stages of rock paths with the exception of a section of brand spanking new path.

One of the most fascinating sections was crossing a bridge that was under construction.  There are not many construction sites that would permit people to pass through an active work site! But here it seemed entirely necessary and expected.  When we reached the other side one of the workers asked where we were from. We said "Canada". His response was, "well you have lots of money and you would just blow it up, but here we rebuild it!" Truly a highlite for the day.

Small church in the woods near Lovrenc na Pohorju.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back on the hill side during our last hill of significance for the day. This was on a shared road and a bit busier with vehicles than we would like.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hydro dam at Fala. It was the location of the first hydro plant on the Drava and, " in 1986, the Fala Hydro Power Plant had been declared a technical monument of local importance for its technical and architectural features, while in 2008 it was declared a cultural monument of national importance by government decree." The cycle path had us ride right across it!
Heart 2 Comment 0
View looking downstream from the dam.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another lunch spot. A bench suitable for two in the sun at one end of the dam.
Heart 6 Comment 0
And then the route got a bit sketchy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
and then it got REALLY sketchy. But the worker near the gate that blocked the construction area insisted that we cross, showing us a way through the dirt and rock.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Michael WaltherWhen I see you on this picture I'm glad to discovered the easy way over the hills on our trip to Maribor.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pat FenwickHa ha ha! Yes, you two got the better route!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The bikes had to be carried over the mound in front of the bridge that was being rebuilt.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We walked our bikes across, but I think they were expecting us to ride!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We found our "Hotel S", checked in, showered and headed off to the main square to have a beer before the sun went down behind the nearby buildings. Dinner was at a Baščaršija a spot recommended by our host. We had a couple of simple local dishes that were both delicious. After a second dessert of a shared ice cream cone on the way home, we fell asleep early.  Tomorrow will be a rest day to explore Maribor as well as an opportunity to do our laundry.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 652 km (405 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0