To Klagenfurt - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2021

To Klagenfurt

A fun day along the Wörthersee

The skies were clear  this morning in Villach!  Our hotel was very comfortable (except for the spotty wifi) and as a result we were not in any hurry to get going as we let the day warm up. Breakfast at 8, back at the room by 9, check out by 10, bakery by.... you get the idea. 

We will be cycling along the Wörthersee today. Our planned distance was not too far  and the weather forecast was for a nice day,  so our plan was take our time and enjoy the ride.

We began by crossing the Drau (Drava) River and following its north bank for about 5 kms. At Villach the cycle route is both the  R 1 Drauradwag and the Alpe Andria radwag. Soon we were only in single layers of clothing on this warm fall day. Perfect weather for going to the lake!

Crossing the Drau River in Villach. It is a fairly wide river and appears flat but has a strong current.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I am including this sign as a reminder of a ride for a future date. The Alpe Adria route is a popular ride. We could have now completed the second part into Italy but we have chosen to take a different direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our ride begins  along a dedicated, paved cyclepath and then onto a well maintained crushed rock track along the river.  Although it was gravel, all the up and down sections were paved! Soon we made a left turn and began riding along a mix of bike paths and quiet roads all nicely marked  with the R4 radwag signs until we found ourselves  at the shores of Wörthersee. This is another lake in Austria. It is known for its clear warm waters as well as its summer visitors. It was not very busy today and a great day to enjoy the area. After with temperatures reaching 24 degrees it is like summer to us.

On the south bank as we began our ride from Villach.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We will rejoin the R1 tomorrow about 20 kms past Klagenfurt, which is our destination. But today we are riding the R4, The Worthersee Radweg. The organization of the cycle routes in Austria is amazing. It has been a real treat to tour here!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Many people on the cycle path today. The ebike has allowed everyone to get out and go for a ride. We are regularly passed by people with ebikes as their engines whirl away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We almost made this hill but a section of gravel made us both get off and push! AGAIN!!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our route took us right to the east end of Wörthersee where we had a coffee and our apple strudel as we basked in the mid day sun. 

Our first look at the Wörthersee from our coffee stop. We have noticed there are very few speed boats on these lakes and have read they are restricted to protect the environment and swimmers. Makes them nice and calm compared to our lakes at home.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The houses and buildings in this area are large and very grand looking.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A nice resting spot for our Fridays as the owners stop for coffee. The vast majority of the bikes at this stop were ebikes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On our route that runs right beside the Wörthersee..
Heart 1 Comment 0
From our lunch stop series but no Pat and Scott in this shot. This small park was just past Portschach and almost no one here. We sat in the grass and enjoyed our picnic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and these two ducks were almost tame as they came right up to us expecting a hand out. No luck for them. We don't feed coyotes or ducks!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetNow there’s a Vancouver inside comment!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
It is the warmest of the lakes in Austria. Well, that is what I have read. It was indeed very nice. Could have stayed in the water for an hour.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of train traffic along this route. They come up fast and are so quiet. It is a good thing all the level crossings have barriers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching the west end of the lake which is over 15 kms long. This end of the lake was busy with bars and restaurants.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Leaving the Worthersee we rode a cyclepath beside a canal all the way into the old city. It was one of the easiest and nicest rides that we have experienced going into a larger center. Klagenfurt has a population of 100K people. As easy as that was, for unexplained reasons finding our hotel was trickier.

We entered Klagenfurt through one of the last remaining portals in the walls to the city.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once the the various documentation checks  required for check-in were completed, we set upon arranging the next night's accommodation. A bit concerning as the town we had planned to stay at had no room! We ended up taking a place on the R1 cycleway about 5kms short of Lavamund, tomorrow's destination.

Before dark we had a good look around the older part of Klagenfurt. Much of it had been rebuilt after the war as it was bombed over 40 times! Although older looking designs, many of the buildings were newer. The town is well done and has won many awards for its restorations. 

Restoration in Flagenfurt.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our host had recommended a few restaurants for Austrian food. We followed her advice and went to Gasthaus "Zum Augustine".  It was a lively place with many small rooms. We were seated in the outdoor courtyard where Pat had a pasta and salad combo  and Scott, the goulash with dumpling.  Both were very good but just a bit too large for us. We walked back to our room stuffed. 

Our dinner spot - Gasthaus "Zum Augustine". Restaurants are operating pretty normally but we do need show our vaccination cards everywhere we go. We chose to sit in the outdoor courtyard, but that's the smoking area!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scott's goulash. Not a pretty dish but very tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we ride to Neuhaus which is just a few kilometres from the Slovenian border.

Flagenfurt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 496 km (308 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad you got good weather!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago