To Graz - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2021

To Graz

Train travel in Croatia may not be easy

Both cell phone alarms went off at 05.30 as planned. We were anxious to get going this morning. Train travel has a way of doing that. It is dark and still showery outside. We had a short ride to the train station but we needed to fold up the bikes and arrange for their storage on the bus. 

We arrived at the station with lots of time and efficiently prepared our bikes and panniers. We were waiting under cover  outside the terminal  to see where the bus would arrive and one did show up about 100 metres down the access road. Scott ran over to it and determined that it was the one for Graz.  There was a second bus that will connect with a train going toward Frankfurt so we make sure to board the right one! We gathered our things in the dark of the morning and hustled to the bus. We took a seat near the back as there were a number of passengers already loaded in the front.

Very early morning at the Zagreb train station. You are supposed to wear a mask in indoor public places and there is no smoking in the station!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bus left at exactly on time at exactly 06.45.  Many of the roads had huge pools of water and we watched the bus wheels send huge waves of water onto the sidewalks as we rolled through the  outskirts of Zagreb and then onto a highway.  Cyclists and pedestrians did not stand a chance of staying dry with the deluge that would have hit them!  Our bus ride took about 45 minutes to reach the train station where we unloaded. We again gathered up  our bikes and bags and moved them onto an old train car where we pushed all our belongings inside one of the available six passenger compartments. We were advised that this train would take us to the Croatian - Slovenian border where there would be a passport check. Once cleared,  we would need to get off the train and load onto another train for our trip to Graz.  This is a bit disappointing, as moving our bags on and off buses and trains and their narrow access way was not easy.  

The Slovenian  passport control is required as Croatia is yet to become a full member of the EU. Many policia entered the train at the border and methodically checked each cabin. Slovenia  controls entry into the EU but has no concern for checks on vaccination status.  When cleared, we gathered up our stuff and transferred it to a another train just across the platform and again into a six person booth taking up all available space. Space does not seem to be an issue as the train is mostly empty. Our next stop was the border with Austria and they were totally concerned with vaccination checks! The police again entered the train along with another official who checked our vaccination cards. All was good and we carried on to Graz.

Older model train car and the local Police.
Heart 1 Comment 2
KAREN JONESDid you have to convert your Canadian vaccination records to an EU version?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pat FenwickNope. We used our Fraser Health wallet cards the entire trip. They were more valuable than our passports!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Our train to Graz had this beautiful dining car but I do not think very many passengers used it. We looked at the menu and the prices we quite high relative to our $30 CAD train tickets.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrive in Graz under heavy overcast skies but the rain was gone. It was still before noon but  we have organized an early check-in, so we rode through the streets of Graz on route to our hotel. Scott stopped at  a couple of the many bike stores and asked about a tire tube, but no luck yet. However, we did manage to find one later in the afternoon. Graz is a cycling city. Cyclist are everywhere and the cycling infrastructure is very good. 

Staying in the marked bike lane, avoiding the tram tracks!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We located our hotel and  unloaded our panniers before getting back on the bikes and heading into the old town of Graz. It really is a spectacular old city and cycling around it allowed us to cover the key sites easily.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Rathaus Hauptplatz Graz, Austria, The dome, clock and corner towers have dominated the Graz main square sine the end of the 19th century.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Amazing iron work above the doorways.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A solid climb up to the castle. Today we stayed at the bottom.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pat window shopping - unfortunately, her panniers are full to the brim already!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
In old town Graz.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hard to tell from this picture but people are lined up around the corner to receive a covid test. We are told that only 60 percecent of the population are vaccinated and you must have a vaccination document or a negative test in the previous 72 hours to go into any restaurants or clubs. So it appears that those not willing to be vaccinated line up on a Friday afternoon for the test, so they are good to go for the weekend!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a light rail connection hub in Graz. We had a meal nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our unloaded bikes were a great way to see Graz!
Heart 5 Comment 0

Tomorrow it will be nice to be back on our bikes and riding to Feldbach as we begin to work our way back up north toward Vienna and connect to the eurovelo 9. 

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 825 km (512 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Jacquie GaudetI’m curious what you are carrying to document your vaccination status. Your digital BC Vaccine Card? The paper one issued when you got your jab? Canada still doesn’t have a national certificate.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonWhat an ordeal you had getting to Graz but it’s good you escaped the rain.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonI’m worn out thinking about you day! A note you might consider for the future though: Bike Friday carries/sells grommets to use as adaptors so you can use a presta valve on their rims. We’ve started carrying them in the tool kit because it’s nearly impossible to find schraeder valves in Europe in our experience.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pat FenwickTo Rachael AndersonIt definitely was an experience, but it's good to see life from the other side, too. We can't expect all the roads, bike paths and trains to be run and organized in that fabulous Austrian fashion!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pat FenwickTo Jacquie GaudetWe are just using our Fraser Health wallet cards. Everyone everywhere has seemed satisfied to see the "Pfizer" and the dates - and often as long as I pull them out, people don't even try to read them. The cards are definitely more valuable than our passports! lol
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetInteresting. They don't cut it here in BC anymore--you need the electronic version plus government-issue photo ID. We'll be sure to have them handy on our upcoming trip to Spain.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago