The Plan - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2021

The Plan

Our tour preparation skills are a bit rusty

Like many in the CycleBlaze community, we have been anxiously awaiting  signals that would convince us that travel is viable or at least meet our threshold of risk assessment. I must say that others with journals on CycleBlaze are  making touring look pretty similar to life at home which includes most of the standard restrictive measures.  Activities involving  travel now seem well controlled; so after a more than two year hiatus we are ready to take the leap and  take a short trip to Europe.

Since our retirement, September is often a month that we like to travel. The   weather can be warm but not too hot,  everything is less busy and the travel is just easier.  Our fingers are crossed that the weather will be nice. I have been following many of the weather websites and it is remarkable how different the forecasting can be. I like to choose any site that shows the sun! 

On this trip we will fly from Vancouver to Toronto and connect on to a flight to Vienna. We chose to travel to Austria as they will accept double vaccinated Canadians without any quarantine period. We also thought that  in Europe they have been managing  virus outbreaks reasonably well. 

We will spend a couple of days in Vienna. We have been there before and like the city. In fact our first cycle tour almost ten years ago went through Vienna to Budapest along the Danube. 

Our touring style. Not much has changed in 10 years. The Danube is in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We will not be cycling the Danube on this trip but instead, will  take the train to Salzburg. As we have not been to Salzburg  previously, we are planning three nights there before we begin riding through the area known as the Salzkammergut  - the Austrian Lake district. From there we will connect to Ennsradweg (riding the up hill direction!) to  the Alpe-Adria cycle path and then to the Drauradweg.  Later stages of the trip still need refining. Altogether it may look something like this.

Pat and Scott's planned cycle tour
Heart 1 Comment 0

It has rained here all day. We are almost finished packing. The bikes are in their cases. We are more than ready!  The taxi is booked to take us to the airport and by tomorrow morning we will be gone. Wish us happy trails and we hope you will follow along on this adventure.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Scott AndersonLooks like a wonderful plan to me. Let us know when you arrive in Salzburg, and maybe we can meet up. We’ll be at the Altstadt Hotel Hofwirt Saturday and Sunday night (18-19), and possibly even the 20th depending what happens with our bikes when we take them in Monday.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonHope you have a great trip!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott FenwickTo Scott AndersonScott
Maybe hard to avoid us as we are already booked in the same hotel! We will see you and Racheal there. We can arrange a coffee , beer or something.
The other Scott
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Scott FenwickToo funny. It does seem like we should meet up then.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Barry DevlinHappy Trails - looks like a fun plan!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago