Last day in Salzburg - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2021

Last day in Salzburg

Tourist time

It rained overnight and was damp this morning but mainly cloudy when we headed off to breakfast at our hotel. 

Todays agenda was to see Salzburg on foot with really only two key objectives. See 1) see the Mirabell palace and gardens and 2) walk up the hill to the Hohensalzburg Fortress. Both are within a reasonable walking distance from our hotel and a great way to spend our last day in Salzburg.

I will not go into any description or detail of either sight as I am likely to get it wrong, suffice to say these are two of the key sights for tourists in Salzburg. Further, we enjoyed them both.

Mirabell gardens in the foreground and Hohensalzburg Fortress in the distance.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mirabell palace has a large area that contains ten dwarfs in a large circle. There is one for each month but two are missing. Fortunately the month of May is there and is described as, Dwarf with raddish bag.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pat's dwarf for the month of April is described as, dwarf with vase.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Closer view of the Mirabell Palace gardens. Fun fact: part of the Sound of Music was filmed here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Simple things can amuse Scott. Mozart was born in 1756 in Salzburg in this building at number 9 Getreidegasse. The building has four floors and should you want to call upon someone on the top three floors you simply need to pull the correct handle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
...and the wires connect to a knocker just outside the window.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of buildings on the west bank of the Salzach river. Photo is taken from within the Hohensalzburg Fortress.
Heart 5 Comment 0
View of Salzburg on a gloomy, drizzly day taken from the very top of the Hohensalzburg Fortress. On a clear day the views from the top watchtower would be amazing! On the other hand, few were venturing outside with Scott in the light showers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Inside the fortress.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent a couple of hours in the fortress touring the various rooms and the museums contained within them. With both objectives complete  and well past our lunch, we walked down the hill, and grabbed a couple of sandwiches. The rest of the afternoon was spent preparing for our departure and organizing and planning for the next few days.

Before dinner we did our last look around Salzburg in an area near our hotel that we had yet to explore. In total we rode zero kms today but Pat's trusty fitbit clocked roughly 22k steps!

Bike parking at the Salzburg train station - two levels deep. Now that is a lot of cycles! This photo was taken at 7:00 pm - we could not figure out why there are so many bikes at that hour...
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith KleinHi,
Probably bikes for people who commute to Salzburg in the morning, and leave them at night when they go home.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pat FenwickTo Keith KleinYes, thank you, Keith. That makes perfect sense!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
A long way from home. We had dinner in a simple US style diner that had several pieces of American memorabilia on the walls. After dinner I explained to our waitress that Steamworks beer comes from Vancouver, where we live. And she replied that they frequently have their beer for sale but were currently out of stock. Small world!
Heart 3 Comment 0

We both enjoyed the city of Salzburg and our  local rides during the  nicer weather. Salzburg is quite touristy with a big  area devoted to shopping. Although it seemed busy, we found everything was quite pleasant during this slower season.

Tomorrow we start our ride out of town to Mondsee via the more northerly lakes of Obertrumer and Mattsee.  The weather forecast appears to be cloudy and maybe a shower or two. For our first ride we expected to be tested but we hope not broken. We will let you know how it goes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0