In Zagreb - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2021

In Zagreb

rain, rain, rain

Raining and a cool 12 degrees in Zagreb this morning. We have been expecting this cool wet front for a few days now, but we are happy and warm in our apartment with blazing fast wifi.

As we have now completed the the original planned portion of the ride  that we started about three weeks ago,  we now need to pivot and start planning our final days on this tour.  We thought about heading to the Croatian coast as we have enjoyed travelling  through the islands previously. But we decided to complete our ride with a final segment in Austria along part of the EuroVelo 9. 

The EuroVelo 9 is a long distance cycle route that can be ridden over 2000 kms from the Baltic coast in Poland to the Adriatic Sea in Croatia. The Austrian section is suppose to be quite well developed following existing cycle networks. We will start in Graz and pick up the EuroVelo 9 route  60 kilometres east  as we ride toward Vienna.

The rain in Zagreb was relentless all all day. Mid day we decided to walk to the train station to buy our tickets from Zagreb to Graz. We could have purchased the tickets on line but we needed some fresh air. We also like to check out our travel plans in advance and it turned out to be a good idea as it seems we will be taking a bus to begin our train trip.  As a result, the departure time is one hour earlier than the posted 7.45 departure scheduled on the website! Good thing we checked in person!

Confident that we had a good  plan for tomorrow, we went looking for some coffee and then some  for lunch. The area that we are staying has many covered outdoor restaurants but today most were vacant due to the wind and rain. We found a funky coffee shop, Quahwa, that roasts their own coffee beans. The coffee was exceptional!  Around the corner we found an Italian restaurant and had delicious bowls of tomato  and mozzarella soup.    We walked briskly home stopping at a local grocery store to spend the last of our Kunas and unfortunately were unable to venture outside again. We did enjoy our stay in Zagreb and it is very likely that we will find ourselves back here for a longer stay in the future.

The weather was so bad that I do not have any pictures to include in todays journal. Instead, I am including some pictures of a vintage tractor parade that we saw on the way into Ptuj on a sunny day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingGreat restorations of those tractors!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonGlad you made it to Zagreb and had a good place to hole up during the rain! Graz to Vienna sounds great! Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago