In Vienna - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2021

In Vienna

Our last day in Austria

We could hardly justify a hotel breakfast buffet when we knew that there would be zero kilometres completed on the bikes today! So we did not tempt ourselves and instead stuck with the Billa bananas and yogurt diet. 

We were both feeling a bit anxious about receiving our PCR test  results. We have no reason to believe that we could have possibly contracted covid but we know so little about the illness and for some people it has been said there are no symptoms. The thought of having to quarantine in a hotel somewhere while dealing with  a (hopefully) mild asymptomatic case  was a little unnerving.

Although the test results can be sent by text message, we never did get our Austrian eety sim card working correctly. We suspect that this is likely more a comment on our mono-linguistic abilities and our lack of "cell phone savvy" than an eety issue. In any case, we are both old school and like to have paper copies of important documents; so we elected to go back to the testing center to pick up the test results. This just adds to the overall excitement, at no extra cost!

We decided to head over to the testing site around noon, well before the time the results were  to be available. Our bike friday suitcases are also nearby at Boutiquehotel Statdhalle where we left them at the start of our trip and they needed to be retrieved. For some reason the cost to stay there on our return to Vienna was  much more expensive than when we we were there a month ago. Supply and demand we suspect. Instead we picked another nice hotel nearby. We enjoyed staying in the Mariahilf area of Vienna's 6th municipal district. It has good access from the airport to Westbahnhof, good nearby shopping and great neighbourhood style restaurants.

We arrived at the covid testing station and walked up to the open window where we had been the previous evening.  Upon presenting  Pat's identification we were told the test results were ready .........negative she was told as a copy of the results was handed to her. Scott next........negative also!!  Done and what a relief!  We hugged each other knowing we could check another box on the ArriveCan app and were now clear to return to Canada.

Covid testing in a shipping container. Not flashy but it works.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The coveted negative PCR test document.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Aside from completing the rest of the exit to-do list, the day was spent wandering the streets of our neighbourhood, enjoying  our  remaining time in Vienna.

We planned to have our celebratory end of tour dinner at a restaurant that we had enjoyed on our last trip to Vienna. We did not even think that a reservation would be required but when we entered Steman, a popular local Mariahilf restaurant, it was full. Unfortunately, it had been raining part of the day so the outdoor seating was not being used. 

There are lots of restaurants in this area so we went  up the block and looked in the window of a small restaurant with a very limited number of tables inside. We decided to give Thanos Taverna -  a hole in the wall restaurant specializing in homemade Greek food a try. Pat had the vegetarian lasagna and Scott raved about his perfectly spiced  not at all greasy moussaka. The waiter said that his mama was the chef. Now you know it has to be good!

Unfortunately I rushed this picture. Mama with her boys. Thanos Taverna is a family affair. They will be closing next week to return to Greece for a vacation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great way to finish off the night with shots of Ouzo.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We are ready. Tomorrow we will be flying home.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonI enjoyed this post. We’ve gotten pretty blasé about Covid since we’ve been vaccinated, and it reminded us of how terribly stressful it was last fall when it wasn’t easy to even get a Covid test, much less a timely one that we felt assured that Croatia would acknowledge.

Glad you’re green, have a safe flight home!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Barry DevlinThanks for all the great photos and details of your ride. It just dawned on me that a cycle blog is "social media" - Scott you are one of us! Way to go - woohoo.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago