In Hallstatt - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2021

In Hallstatt

Rest and planning day

When organizing this ride we had planned to stay  a couple of days in Hallstatt because there were so many positive reviews about the area and town. From the scenic hikes, to the historic buildings, to the amazing setting; it certainly does not disappoint. Its reputation is well earned and easily stacks up well against the nicest towns that we have visited in Europe.

This morning we took advantage of the rest day and planned the next few days of cycling. Tomorrow we will ride toward Bad Ausee and leave the Salzkammergut as we make our way to the Enns valley. From there over the next couple of days we will continue back west to connect with the  Alpe Adria Radweg.

If there is any bad news, the weather forecast starting Monday will  begin to include some rain for the days following. We have had a great run of late September weather and  knew that travelling at this time of year we would be pushing  the weather window. Rain is not going to make the Alpe part of this ride work very well. So, we now have a solid plan B that includes the use of a train in the event that the weather forecast does not improve. We were looking forward to the challenge but at least this takes away some of the stress.

Our home in Hallstatt.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our accommodation is very comfortable and a great place to stay but  breakfast is not part of the program. We are fine with this as there is an excellent bakery nearby where we enjoyed some breads and coffees. After we walked around the area closest to our pension we began a short hike up the hill behind the oldest part of Hallstatt. 

Passed by the local kids ski hill. Not too steep but good place to get out and play. The big wall of rock makes it shady almost all day so the snow may have a fairly long season. We think the flat foreground maybe a skating rink.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rock here goes straight up with some neat stratifications.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry DevlinSee - rocks aren't boring after all.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Many displays in Austria have no English translations, so if we see some English - we read it!. Most of you can ignore this slide. It is here for our house sitters who get this sort of thing.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Although our elevation was not too high there were some nice views. The route ended near the Catholic church in Hallstatt and we then spent the rest of the afternoon looking at shops and potential places for an early dinner. The temperature this afternoon was 22 degrees!  Another beautiful day.

Not the best picture but this is part of the lunch selfie series. We were part way through our hike and saw this bench. Although it it is on a fairly main track with great views, only 3 people passed by while we were there.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Hallstätter See
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking across from Hallstatt to the eastern shores.
Heart 8 Comment 0

With a solid plan in place, we are rested and ready for our biggest climb to date on tomorrow's ride to Irdling.

Looking down on the two churches in Hallstatt. Protestant on the left, Catholic on the right.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Pat heading down the stairs from our hike into the hills above the old part of Hallstatt.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Buildings on one side of the town square.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As close as Pat will come to getting wet in the Hallstätter See.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Neat storm drain covers. We find English in the oddest places. "Take care of what you love". Good words to live by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dinner - leg of pork with sauerkraut and pretzels. Seems local and goes well with beer!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Evening orchestra concert in the town square.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonWe’re looking at the weather forecast and considering our options also. Don’t you love traveling in a land with such an extensive rail network? Game changer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago