Day Two Vienna - Late September -- it must be time to be back on tour? - CycleBlaze

Day Two Vienna

testing take one

We woke up  to a dry mixed weather day, but no showers as were forecasted. Perfect to take the bikes for their maiden voyage and complete the last of the errands.

But let's start with breakfast. For good reason the Stadthalle speaks highly of their locally sourced organic breakfast menu. It was perfect for  a late start, leisurely, no rush affair. Several circuits around the buffet tables, a couple of espressos   and of course the European dessert selections for breakfast items  and we were both waddling out full to the brim. It was a good thing we were going out for a ride today albeit a very modest one!

Our first errands involved going to the post office and then picking up the replacement camera battery charger. Once completed we again found ourselves on the major shopping street of Mariahilfer Strasse but quickly turned off onto a side street that had set up market stalls selling various items. Lots of vintage, flea market, odds and ends stuff. It was so busy with people that we had to walk our bikes for several city blocks. 

Pat wanted her picture taken in front of this grand building. Many wonderful elegant old buildings like this in Vienna. I believe this one is Maria Theresien Platz.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On our ride today. The ride gets a little bumpy here crossing the tram lines at Praterstern station.
Heart 1 Comment 2
ROSY ColistroLooking good, Pat. I have read only a few entries and I am ready to go back to Europe. Enjoy.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pat FenwickTo ROSY ColistroIt was a great trip, Rosy. We got home last night. Europe never gets old and we really felt safe, in Austria especially. We had to show our Fraser Health vax wallet cards everywhere, wear masks in grocery stores, keep our social distance and hand sanitize! Very doable.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
What appears to be a pop up kiosk is in place to administer covid testing. We need to be tested before returning to Canada unless the policy is changed for double vaccinated travelers.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Moving on through the high end district near Stephansplatz we found it busy but not crowded. We were quite amazed how clean and orderly the streets were. Vienna really seems to manage any litter and less fortunate out of this zone.  We have yet to see a mask on the ground anywhere - and there are lots around as the requirements are the same here as at home.  We have to show our vaccination cards in all restaurants and coffee shops.

A slow meander took us through Prater park and over the Danube to ride along the Danube island. No speed records or large elevation gains today.  However riding in the city is way more challenging. Not only do you have to watch for bike lanes, pavement changes and lights, there are also electric scooters, pedestrians, faster ebikes. and general congestion. It is actually quite stressful  and sometimes not really enjoyable for us. But, the bikes are certified as fully ready even if the riders are not.

Snapped this shot of Saint Francis of Assisi church as we crossed the bridge from Danube Island. Thought to be one of the most beautiful churches in Vienna it looks like a fairy tale castle.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We need a picture of ferris wheel in Prater park. Constructed in 1897, It is one of Vienna's most popular tourist attractions . We rode it on our first visit so we passed this time.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonAlso famous as a set location in the films The Third Man and Before Sunrise.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Amazing what can be bought from a vending machine these days!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Barry DevlinAny fresh mint?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Karlsplatz Vienna. We used this significant landmark to get our bearings back to our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We picked a local spot with sun on the patio to have an afternoon beer. Later we noticed the name of the café. In Vienna the reminders that these are not normal times come frequently.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The evening was spent organizing the gear for the ride and preparing for the train to Salzburg tomorrow. We will leave our bike suitcases here and some extra stuff we will not be requiring. It is starting to feel like the tour is slowly beginning and things will soon be getting real. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 30 km (19 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonGlad to hear you made it okay and the bikes are in good shape! It really takes some time to getting use to riding with ebikes and scooters weaving in and out!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago