Santiago - A Patagonia Adventure - CycleBlaze

January 2, 2019 to January 5, 2019

Santiago

The flight from Cordoba to Santiago crosses the Andes, and I decided to forgo my aisle seat preference for a window seat.  As we approached the mountain range, we were instructed to return to our seats and fasten our seat belts "while crossing the Andes".  Despite the cloud cover, some mild turbulence, and partial wing obstruction, I was able to appreciate the ruggedness of the range as well as the remote roads and small villages sandwiched between the towering peaks.

My college roommate Jane met me as I exited customs. Jane's youngest daughter Lucy lives in Santiago with her husband Eduardo and her two children Simon and Bruno. Jane, her husband, and their two other daughters had come to Chile to celebrate Christmas with Lucy and her family. Jane was staying on a couple of weeks to spend more time with her Santiago family, and she was taking a short break to show me around the city. It was  a wonderful opportunity to reunite with a dear friend and to explore some of her favorite haunts. Our home base was an Airbnb in Barrio Lastarria, an historical area in central Santiago. It has recently become a bit touristy, but has a plethora of restaurants and proximity to numerous cultural activities. 

The afternoon was clear, sunny and hot, so we took a fairly leisurely stroll through the barrio and up Santa Lucia hill. All around there was a vibrancy – from the sidewalk vendors selling arts and crafts to the brightly colored murals and mosaics decorating historical structures. We stopped for avocado toast and lemonade with mint at small bakery/café nestled in one of the many short alleyways along the main thoroughfare. The hike up Santa Lucia hill was short and not very strenuous, and afforded nice views of the city and the Andes to the east. In the local tradition, we partook of a short afternoon rest before enjoying a late-ish dinner of Thai takeout on our patio. In all, a most enjoyable day getting the feel and rhythm of the city.

First crossing of the the Andes
Heart 3 Comment 0
The amazing balcony at our Airbnb - a little oasis in the heart of Barrio Lastarria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street vendors of Lastarria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tree lined streets provide welcome shade from the mid-afternoon sun
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of colorful murals of Lastarria
Heart 0 Comment 0
Murals along construction walls tend to be more political and/or erotic
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mural on the side of this building give the illusion of an arched walkway and balconies, complete with hanging plants
Heart 2 Comment 1
SUSAN GRIFFITHamazing murals
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mosaics also decorate the buildings of Lastarria
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jane waiting for Thai take-out
Heart 0 Comment 0

The destination the next morning was the Museum of Pre-Columbian Art.  Heading out fairly early to beat the midday heat, our route took us by the Catholic University, through a maze of pedestrian shopping malls and to the Plaza de Armas, the main square of Santiago established by the founder of Santiago, Pedro de Valdivia, in 1541. The plaza is flanked by several historical buildings and contains several works of art paying homage to the pre- and post-Columbian history of Chile.

Catholic University, Santiago
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the painted pedestrian streets of central Santiago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza de Armas is surrounded by the Central Post Office Building (left) and the historic Royal Court Palace (right), which currently houses the National History Museum of Chile
Heart 1 Comment 0
Metropolitan Church of Santiago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Creche display in the Metropolitan Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 1
Simon Bolivar, Plaza de Armes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maphuce statue "Monument to Indian Villages" by Enrique Villalobos, Plaza de Armas
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Museo Chileno de Arte Precolumbino has two exhibitions in their permanent collection: Pre-columbian art of the Americas (including Mesoamerica, the Caribbean, and South America) and Chile before Chile. As someone with a pedestrian knowledge of the Mayan, Aztec and Incan empires, I was enthralled with the complexity of their social/political culture as well as the art that embodied and reflected that complexity. In many cases, the art celebrated rituals or experiences induced by the many hallucinogenic plants native to the area. I would be interested to learn more about the environmental and geographic factors thought to have impacted the various spiritual, social and political systems found among indigenous people throughout North, Central and South America. 

Pre-Columbian Chilean hats - I'm especially fond of the one with the horns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chilean ceramic ware - many of the figures depicted in indigenous art are evocative of the modern day emoji
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large wooden statues of Mapuche people used in their funeral rites
Heart 0 Comment 0

That evening we headed out for dinner with Jane's daughter Lucy, followed by a visit to the Bahá'í temple. Two metros, a bus, and a short walk took us to the eastern reaches of Santiago, where we picked up Lucy, Simon (age 6) and Bruno (age 3) and headed off dinner at a Peruvian restaurant. While the boys enjoyed chicken nuggets, fries, and bread, we feasted on ceviche, grilled tuna, and a Peruvian chicken stew. Then we were off (and up) to Templo Bahá'í, where Lucy's husband Eduardo works as Director - and where he was tied up in a meeting and unable to join us for dinner.

Murals surrounding the Bellas Artes metro station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santiago metro stations display various works of art - as exemplified by the mosaic at the Bellas Artes station
Heart 0 Comment 0
High fives from Lucy, Simon, Jane and Bruno. Note the lemonade with mint and ginger drinks - amazingly refreshing and yummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Simon and Bruno following robust after-dinner games of tag and "race you to Susan"
Heart 0 Comment 0

The award-winning Templo Bahá'í de Sudamérica is one of eight continental temples of the Bahá'í Faith.  Nestled in the foothills of the Andes outside Santiago, the Templo Bahá'í has become a destination for locals, tourists, and Bahá'í faithful.  We arrived near sunset where scores of people had gathered on the temple grounds to view the sun setting over Santiago. Jane had pointed out the temple during our hike up Santa Lucia hill, when it looked to me like a fairly typical observatory. As we neared the temple, however, the physical and spiritual beauty of the structure became increasingly apparent.

Each of the continental Bahá'í  temples must meet the criteria of "a nine-sided domed structure with nine entrances to symbolically welcome people from all directions of the earth for prayer and meditation." The Templo Bahá'í was designed by Hariri Pontarini, drawing inspiration from sources as varied as Sufi whirling dancers, Japanese bamboo baskets, and the way sunshine dapples beneath a tree canopy. The result is a 90-ft diameter structure building composed of nine identical glass and marble “torqued wings” that soar 138 ft skyward, topped with a central oculus.  

Cut-away model of the Tempo Bahá'í showing 5 of the 9 torqued wings. In this picture and the next, the size of the people is a useful yardstick to appreciate the size of the temple structure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Templo Bahá'í nestled in the Andean foothills on the outskirts of Santiago
Heart 2 Comment 0

As imposing and beautiful as it is on the outside, it was the inside of the Templo Bahá'í that took my breath away. Light infuses the structure, bathing those inside with a brightness that is simultaneously serene and alive. To me, the torqued wings evoke the sails of ships, ready to take one on a spiritual journey. It is forbidden to take photographs inside the temple, and while I might have tried to surreptitiously snap an iPhone pic, I decided to respect the wishes of Lucy and Eduardo and the other Bahá'í faithful. However, the experience was so dramatic that I am sure it will stay with me for years to come.

Sunset over Santiago as viewed from grounds of Templo Bahá'í. Lucy says a similar haze often covers the city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lights of Santiago in the setting sun
Heart 1 Comment 0

We awoke Friday to another beautiful day of sunshine and clear blue skies. I had strained my hamstring before Thanksgiving, likely overdoing it on the stairmaster while trying to get in shape for my hiking trip in Southern Patagonia. Although rest and stretching was the recommended treatment, I had done a fair bit of walking and climbing the previous two days. In an effort to follow therapist orders, we decided to limit activities a bit during the last two in Santiago. Rather than take in the historical and cultural aspects of the city, we concentrated on exploring the nooks and crannies of the neighborhood and savoring the culinary riches that Santiago had to offer. This included a stop at the Emporio La Rosa for a scoop of Miel de Ulmo (ice cream made with honey from elm trees) that was enjoyed at the nearby Parque Forestal. 

For dinner, we splurged on the 12-course tasting menu at the renowned Restaurante 040, located across the River Mapucho in the lively Bario Bellavista. There was no menu - each course was revealed only when served, complete with instructions on how many bites you were to take! All courses, save one, were eaten by hand and there were small finger bowls on the table for washing-up as needed. Overall the meal was amazing, hitting high marks on flavor, texture, and presentation. The fact that we ate with our hands added a tactile sense to each dish that complemented the sensations of sight, taste and smell. After dinner, we were granted access to a “secret” rooftop speakeasy. An homage to the age of American prohibition and gangsters, the place was not for us and we headed home. By now, the party scene in Bario Bellavista was amping up, with music blaring from brightly lit bars and street-side drum groups. It was truly a most gratifying evening that stimulated all the senses.

Happy Hour is just starting as we pass through Barrio Bellavista
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rousing Friday night drum performance in Barista Bellavista
Heart 1 Comment 0

On Saturday, we lunched at a restaurant specializing in ancestral food of Chile. It was an interesting meal, a bit hit or miss, though we both appreciated the effort.  Perhaps we were just too spoiled by our meal the previous evening. After lunch we bade farewell and I headed off to the airport hotel and an early flight to Punta Arenas the following day. I'll be spending the next two weeks hiking in Southern Patagonia and will provide a few updates along the way.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
SUSAN GRIFFITHThanks for sharing these interesting experiences and great pictures
Reply to this comment
5 years ago