DAY 16: Gualala County Park to Samuel P. Taylor State Park - Passing Gas on the Pacific Coast Bike Route - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2018

DAY 16: Gualala County Park to Samuel P. Taylor State Park

STATS:

Distance: 92.77 miles

Average Speed: 12.7 mph

Time Pedaling: 7:15:11

Maximum speed: 36.4 mph

Expenses: $14 ($10 for coffee, camp, and a pastry, and $4 for groceries)

Phew. Today was physically demanding but mentally rewarding. Simon and I departed at 8:15 and pedaled 10 miles before stopping for coffee and sticky buns at the fabulous bakery in Steven's Point. From there, we encountered several climbs that were challenging, but simply breathtaking. In particular, the route leading to Bodega Day consisted of some of the most sublime miles I have ever spent on a bike. At one point, while listening to the music of the (now late) Aretha Franklin, I got all emotional again, just as I had outside of Astoria several days back.

We had the pleasure of sharing them with David, an ultralight credit card bike tourist that was covering immense daily miles between Canada and Mexico.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at that road!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in Bodega Bay for an hour lunch break before carrying on. The route dipped inland, where we encountered relentless headwinds and hills. It was quite demoralizing at times. To the cyclists that claim there is always a summer tailwind on the Pacific Coast, you are simply wrong.

Waiting at a construction stop. Damn headwinds...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we neared Point Reyes Station we convened with some highly motivating individuals that reenergized us and helped excite us to finishing our day on a positive note. We cruised in to Samuel P. Taylor State Park at 8pm, where we showered up, drank beer, ate dinner, and went to bed. What a day it was. The sense of satisfaction I have in my tent at the end of a day like today is one of the greatest joys of bike touring. It simply cannot be beat.

Thanks for following me this far. Thr remaining 600 miles are sure to be something special indeed.

Gas: passed.

Riding the final few miles to camp on the majestic Marin Bike Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 miles (148 km)
Total: 1,182 miles (1,902 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0