DAY 10: Humbug Mountain State Park to Harris Beach State Park - Passing Gas on the Pacific Coast Bike Route - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2018

DAY 10: Humbug Mountain State Park to Harris Beach State Park

STATS:

Distance: 56.71

Average Speed: 13.6 mph

Time Pedaling: 4:23:26

Maximum speed: 42.8. mph

Expenses: $20 (campsite, dinner, and snacks for tomorrow's ride)

I simply could not have asked for a better day. Today I joined Simon and Cristal, (from Sweden and Denmark, respectively) on a truly memorable 56 mile jaunt south to Harris Beach State Park. I'll let the pictures do the majority of the storytelling.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The only thing better than the view was the size and quality of the road shoulder. Only something a cyclist would think of, I'm sure!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Dane, a Swede, and an American bike the Pacific Coast. There's got to be a joke in there somewhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
(Insert another caption about how stunning the coastal headland view was, blah blah blah...)
Heart 0 Comment 0

A major defining factor of today's ride was the wind. It was absolutely roaring at my back. At one point I was on a slight incline and maintaining 17mph without pedaling! It made some of the longer climbs quite a bit easier, and also made for some flying descents.

Once settled in camp, Simon, Cristal, and I went in to Brookings for Mexican food and groceries. I'm sad to be parting ways with them after tomorrow, but we are making tentative plans to meet up after my test day.

Harris Beach State Park was quite full with cyclists, and for good reason. It's a well-equipped site, with a bike repair station and charging stations for electronic equipment. Oregon really has its act together when it comes to hosting cyclists.

Gas: passed at a high rate of speed

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 742 miles (1,194 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0