To Saint Raphael - From Paris to Paris - CycleBlaze

To Saint Raphael

Heart 0 Comment 0

This was not the best day of the tour.  It began well enough, with an early breakfast at the hotel, mostly clear skies, and successful searches in town for a new book for Rachael an a Michelin map of lower Provence.  After that though we confronted 25 mile of very busy roadway and urban congestion on the road from Nice to Antibes to Cannes.  While it could have been much worse - it was dry, and we had favorable winds - it was hardly restful biking.  And our major stopping points are very heavily touristed and expensive.  I'm really ready to move inland and away from the crowds.

The remainder of the ride to Saint Raphael was much different - beautiful, in fact - as it hugged the shoreline of Cape de l'Esterel, a very attractive, rugged formation. Although the communities along the way are all quite modern, it is an undeniably lovely stretch of the coast.

We spent a long time deciding where to turn inland - at Saint Raphael, or another thirty miles further west at Saint Maxime.  After much study of our wonderfully detailed new Michelin map, we settled on a route through Provence that departs the sea at Saint Raphael - and so we settled in for the night preparing for the next day'a venture into the high country again; a bit anxious, as the weather appeared quite grey by nightfall.

The Corniche de l'Esterel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,546 km (960 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith AdamsI'm glad that the internet and digital photography have freed you of the constraints of thirty years ago. Your coverage, descriptions, and photos from your 2022 return to this area are far more vivid and complete.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsOh, that’s another thing. Digital cameras! No more carefully hoarding a few dozen rolls of film. And especially, no more waiting until getting back home to see if anything actually came out. That’s what happened to the 2001 tour - the lens cover was stuck partly shut for nearly the entire tour and I didn’t know it until we got home.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago