To Le Puy - From Paris to Paris - CycleBlaze

October 4, 1993

To Le Puy

Under mixed skies we continued our ascent this morning up to Meyrand Pass (1371m), 15k to the north.  It was a perfect morning for a strenuous climb - not quite cold, crisp air, a mild tailwind.  The woods grew progressively more colorful as we climbed, with the bright yellow chestnuts attractively contrasting with the firs.  Rachael, feeling noticeably stronger of late, kept a steady pace the whole way to the top - even after we discovered that the horizon we had been priming ourselves for was a false summit, still 5k from the top.  The view down into the valley from the top was splendid - we could see our hotel far below, and to the south across to the ranges around the Ardeche and Provence.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After enjoying the views and nourishing ourselves in the cold alpine wind, we dressed up for the frigid drop off the north slope of the pass.  An hour later, shivering, we pulled into the only café in tiny Sainte Etienne for coffee and a chance  to thaw out.  We then continued dropping all the way to Langogne - first along a small mountain stream, and then along the upper waters of the Alier.  The entire route was through attractive farm country; the ride, although with a solid tailwind and mixed sun, was still quite cold.

From Langogne we followed the highway north for about 20k, following the easiest gradients, until we tired of the traffic - more unsettling in the by now quite strong winds - and verged off onto a series of extremely quiet, almost deserted farm roads.  For most of the remaining 20k to Solignac we saw more chickens in the road than cars.  With the strong south wind pushing us along, we decided to continue on into Le Puy returning to the bustle of the city shortly before dark.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 2,081 km (1,292 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0