The Otranto Cathedral: a photo gallery - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2019

The Otranto Cathedral: a photo gallery

A griffin
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alexander the Great
Heart 1 Comment 0
An assortment of multi-headed creatures
Heart 2 Comment 0

WBefore the memory fades, we want to reflect on the unique cathedral in Otranto.  There are many reasons to stitch Otranto into your future plans, especially if you’re visiting by bicycle - but a chance to see this wonderful church is very high on the list.  I can’t believe looking back now that we didn’t visit it on our first visit to the town.

There are so many cathedrals and fine churches in Western Europe, and it’s easy to get a bit jaded about them.  Every significant town or city you come to has one or more fine religious structures worth visiting, many with an interesting and complex history and all just a bit different.  When you’ve seen many of them, it’s easy to take a pass and just focus on other local highlights or the restaurant crawl.  And Otranto has plenty to catch your eye, alright.  But if you come here, don’t miss the cathedral.

The cathedral was consecrated in 1088, and reflects a composite of Byzantine, early Christian and Romanesque elements.  There are a few surviving Byzantine frescoes from the early years of the church, but most of these were destroyed by an Ottoman occupation following the conquest of Otranto in the fifteenth century, when the cathedral was converted to a mosque or stables.  There is an impressive ossuary, a beautiful and unique ceiling, a striking facade. 

The most arresting feature though is surely the immense mosaic which covers the entire floor of the nave, choir and apse.  We discussed this with an Italian couple, who stated that as far as they knew this was the largest church mosaic in the world.  Created in roughly 1165, almost a century after the church was consecrated, it’s an astonishing work of art that combines Old Testament themes with medieval bestiaries, and illustrates the story of man from the Fall through salvation.  I’ve included a few photos to give you the idea, but here is a much more comprehensive and detailed article.  Don’t fail to see it in person if you’re in the region.

Here’s why you want to come to sites like this early in the day. We had the place nearly to ourselves, and are leaving just as the first tour group arrives.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rose window of the facade, added in the sixteenth century after the town was reclaimed from the Ottoman occupation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The nave
Heart 2 Comment 0
The central ceiling
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The ceiling of one of the two matching side aisles. I don’t know what the composition is, but it looks like a giant tapestry.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the crypt
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the few surviving Byzantine frescoes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ossuary contains seven identical panels like this one.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mosaic floor is mostly roped off, but some of it you can just walk on. Much of it is partially concealed by rows of wooden pews.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cain and Abel
Heart 1 Comment 0
Workers constructing the Tower of Babel
Heart 1 Comment 0
A four bodied beast with a human head
Heart 1 Comment 0
Adam and Eve, and the beginning of the calendar of months.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inferno and Satan
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0