Polignano a Mare - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2019

Polignano a Mare

Volare, oh oh / Cantare, oh oh oh oh

Most of you are probably familiar with this infectious song lead in, and can place the tune immediately.  Most of you may know it from Dean Martin’s we’ll-known rendition, but you might not have heard the original Italian version, by the composer Domenico Modugno.  If you haven’t, you should stop and listen now.   

I had never heard of Domenico Modugno before, but he was an important musical figure in modern Italy, and is recognized as the country’s first cantautore (singer-songwriter).  Volare, composed in 1958, is his best known song by far.  His version won the Grammy award for both best album and best song in 1959, the first year the Grammy was awarded.  He was also a film actor, a comedian, and a politician, serving briefly in the Italian Senate as a member of the Radical party.

We probably won’t be listening to Volare again ourselves for awhile though, because we’ve had our fill for the moment.  This is because we are staying tonight Polignano a Mare, Domenico Modugno’s birthplace.  Our hotel host claims that Modugno wrote Volare with his birthplace in mind, with its astonishing cliffs plunging into the blue sea and myriad swifts endlessly gyrating beneath them.  

There is a monumental statue to the great man just below our hotel window, and we could hear crowds gathered around the statue singing Volare as we tried to go to sleep.  We probably heard the song forty or more different times in our short stay here.  So, enough for awhile.

Domenico Modugno takes flight. With any luck at all, you can hear the crowd spontaneously sing along with him here, or you could initiate a rendition yourself to see who joins in.
Heart 5 Comment 7
Andrea BrownThanks for the earworm, Domenico.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenGreat song !!! Haven’t heard it in years. By my calculation I would have been 10 years old when I first heard it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenYeah, yeah, yeah. I know everyone is younger than me. Thanks for the reminder though.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Anne MathersI just noticed the placement of the tour guide's hand. LOL. Perfect timing, Scott! Reminds me of the scene in Christmas Vacation when the cops come to arrest Eddie for kidnapping Clark's boss.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Anne MathersModugno doesn’t look particularly unhappy about it, now that you point it out.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne MathersTo Scott AndersonYes, he is indeed. I see the other woman is holding his other leg so he doesn't get away. Anyway, not to focus on Modugno... we will be cycling Puglia, Basilicata area next May so I am enjoying every minute as I re-read this journal. We are both excited about the trip... and, we will be riding new Fridays!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThat’s so funny. I missed this response somehow, but have been thinking of your previous one for awhile wondering if you were scoping out a possible trip to Puglia. I finally got around to opening this up and ask you but see I already have the answer.

I wonder if there’s any chance we’ll overlap? We’re going to be in Puglia and Basilicata for about four weeks next spring after we leave Sicily, but possibly earlier than you. Nothing’s booked yet, but we’ve penciled in roughly 4/20-5/15. Here’s the planned itinerary for this part of the tour: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41561791.

New Bike Fridays!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

First though, we had to get here.  The ride from Ostuni to Polignano is probably the easiest stage of the entire tour - a short 33 miles.  After dropping from Ostuni to the sea it’s a virtually flat run up the coast the rest of the day.  With a tailwind.  Very nice.

First, a preview:

We begin the day with a half mile detour to Ostuni’s bike store, for another attempt at having my gears adjusted.  This shop looks promising from their website, advertising a service department.  It doesn’t though indicate that the service department is closed on Saturdays, so we struck out again.

No worries though - there really is nothing to today’s ride, workwise.  Who needs gears?  After a five mile gentle glide to the sea through an ocean of olive orchards, we turn downwind and cruise along the quiet seaside for a few hours, stopping only in Torre Canne for lunch, enjoying a pesche spada burger and drink, sitting in a nice dory with a seaside view.

Ostuni presents its best face to the sea, with its impressive sheer whitewashed walls.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Rachael contemplates the coming miles dropping through an ocean of olive groves.
Heart 2 Comment 0
To the sea!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dropping through the olive groves, with the Adriatic ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at the white city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Old, gnarled olive trees are so wonderfully diverse.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The view from our lunch-dory, Torre Canne
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lighthouse at Torre Canne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in a boat
Heart 4 Comment 0

 

He-men like their selfies too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I think the pale apron beneath these olives is pollen drop, but it’s just a guess really.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Polignano a Mare is a spectacular coastal town, it’s houses rising up from the sheer cliffs The town is built on.  It makes a quite impressive sight, and it is fun to wander around the narrow streets of its old town, many of which end abruptly at the edge of the cliff.  There is a concrete barrier of course, but it would be easy enough to lean too far over for a view and tumble straight down to the rocks and water.

I can’t say we enjoyed the place as much as we thought we might though. Even this early in the season the streets are quite crowded, and you can find yourself trapped or bottlenecked by tour groups slowly making their way through its maze.  If we came back, we’d do it off-off season - sometime around my birthday, say.

The old town in Polignano a Mare is striking, with its seaward facing houses rising seamlessly from its cliffs.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Yikes! Those are the diving platforms for the Red Bull Cliff Diving competition, which will occur next weekend. Last year’s event drew 70,000 spectators to the tiny town. The mens platform is 27 meters above the sea, and the womens a mere 21. Divers have to access the platform through the window of a living room of a private residence.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The sea front, Polignano a Mare.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This street musician has a pretty nice act, but is always ready to trot out Volare at the least provocation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you wander off the main drag a bit, you can still see what the town must have looked like before it was overrun by tourists.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Polignano a Mare
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dropping lines from above the cliffs. We were lucky enough to see a small fish landed while we were there.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Polignano a Mare
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Polignano a Mare
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ll give Domenico the last words today, but feel free to sing them along with him. I know you secretly want to.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 33 miles, 700’: for the tour: 1,789 miles, 114,100’

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,789 miles (2,879 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersGreat blog today and wonderful pictures as always! Now about the earworm....
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetWas this a tourist destination before Domenico? Can’t help but wonder...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago