Moving day no. 2 - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

January 30, 2019

Moving day no. 2

Moving Day no. 1, continued

Before moving on to Moving Day no. 2, let’s go back to the first one.  In our last episode, we emptied out the top layer of our old storage unit and moved it to the new one, thereby exposing the heavy and larger objects that needed a second set of hands.  Rachael and I went back together the next morning to finish the job.  Together we moved the oak dining room table, the desk, the footlocker, and the glass coffee table.  Very difficult, especially the top of the glass coffee table - it’s incredible how heavy glass is!  We didn’t try to carry it down the stairs.  Instead, we wrapped it in a carpet and carefully, slowly slid it down the stairs.  If I’d had a fifth hand free I’d like to have taken a video.

After moving the heavy stuff to the new location, we emptied out the second storage unit that I filled yesterday so that we could start loading it from scratch.  The tables are the main structural units for the storage plan, so they need to go in first so everything else can fit on or around them.

That done, Rachael went off for a ride and I wrapped up by packing everything else over, under and around the tables.  It went amazingly fast and well.  Everything fits in easily, and we have plenty of space left over to give us access.  We could even fit the bikes in, I think.  We could have kept more stuff!

Look at all of that free space! Every time I look at this I feel a warm glow.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Moving Day no. 2

The day after we left our old storage unit behind, it was time to leave our Airbnb.  You’ll recall that we were there for only the two weeks by which we shortened our tour of Taiwan, and that most of our residency will be spent in a different condo down on the waterfront.

Like a bad penny, the Jetta saw its opportunity to ingratiate itself back into our lives and rolled around just in time to help with the move.  Very timely, and we gladly welcomed it back into the family for the next two months.  The move went smoothly with no unpleasant surprises, and now we’re in our new home for the next two months.  It’s a rather small studio with a rather narrow Murphy bed, but we’ll fit in fine.  It has a good sized covered balcony where we can stash the bikes, and the location on the waterfront is terrific.  It’s an easy walk to downtown and we’ll really enjoy being by the river.

Cleaning up, moving out
Heart 1 Comment 0
Large enough for a whole stable of bikes
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Hawthorne bridge is just a short stroll from our new home. We’ll enjoy seeing it on our way too and from home each day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Around Sicily again

This is a blog about our upcoming tour of Sicily, so we should really say something here about it rather than just gas on about our daily lives.  In our last post we revealed that for the good of our perfect union I’ve agreed to go with a Rachael to Sicily for a second time.  We won’t be in Sicily for the whole three months though, so there must be more to say about the plan.  There is, but not today.  I’m too tired out from all the move activity, so trip planning will have to wait for another day.

Powell Butte

We’ve had a short series of beautiful but cold days in Portland this week.  Well, not really cold - not Polar Vortex cold like my son and his family are hunkering down under back in Minneapolis, or that our friend Greg  was insane enough to go biking in.  Still, at just a bit above freezing and with an annoyingly cold wind blowing in from the east, it was enough to discourage me from my original plan for the day: my annual challenge-to-self to bike my age in miles.  

I have a very attractive 72 mile loop mapped out for my challenge this year that goes south through Oregon City to Canby and then loops back home by way of Champoeg Park and Newberg.  So attractive in fact that it seemed a shame to waste it on a day too cold to fully appreciate it.  Much better to put it off for a month or two or five and enjoy it at its best when it’s warmer and the days are longer, and to stretch out the pleasure of anticipation.

So, feeling half-hearted about the whole thing, I decided to settle for just half the ride - a 36 mile loop out to Powell Butte.  I started out right at sunrise and put in a solid three miles before stopping in at JoLa Cafe for breakfast and coffee before continuing.  By the time I re-emerged it had warmed up a few degrees, but it was still chilly enough that I needed my warm gloves and could feel the wind leach the heat out of me nearly all the way to Powell Butte.

If you’ve been following these pages for awhile, you’ll recognize the landscape.  Just the usual melange of bridges and snow cones, so there’s not really anything new to say about them.  Still though, after not seeing them for the last half year, very nice.

Looking past the Ross Island gravel quarry
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnSo nice to see that the mountain was out for this lovely sunrise shot!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnIt would have been even better if I’d been just a few minutes earlier. I couldn’t get to the waterfront fast enough to get a clear shot at its peak.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The Ross Island Bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
Dawn on Tillicum Crossing
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lone Peak product placement ad
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jen RahnMakes me.priud to be the owner of a simyular Lone Peak bag ..
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Pretty, but something’s not quite right here.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnYou switched bikes mid-ride?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonGood job, Jen! Gold star. I snuck in a photo from the day before, just because I liked it.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Looking back toward town from Willamette Park
Heart 3 Comment 0
Eastbound on the Springwater Corridor
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view north from Powell Butte
Heart 3 Comment 0
Mountain bike
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view to the east
Heart 4 Comment 0
Bridgemania
Heart 2 Comment 0
I’ve been waiting for this view for a long time. The Ross Island Bridge has been under renovation and partially wrapped for two years. It’s finally fully uncovered again, showing off its lovely new cobalt blue coat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauInsane? I think that guy is COMPLETELY NUTS.

If your Sicily tour is half as beautiful as the last one, we readers are going to be in for a real treat.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekThe Ross Island looks great.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago