Matera - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2019

Matera

Today’s ride was the polar opposite of yesterday’s, and great from top to bottom.  It’s another day where afternoon showers threaten, so we get an early start.  At 7:30 we walk over to the cafe we’ve been given a pass for (our place is listed as a B&B, but this early in the season they don’t provide one themselves because there are still so few guests) and wake up with cherry cornati and coffee.  Afterwards we make time for a quick pass through the old town, it’s streets alive with parents and children walking to school.  I’m struck by its white marble streets and white houses.  Suddenly it feels like Puglia, which is just a few miles further to the east.

In the historical center, Bernalda
Heart 1 Comment 0
Suddenly it feels like we’re in Puglia.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We struggled a bit with our itinerary to Matera today.  Matera is one of the the great  attractions of Southern Europe, and the intensely eroded ravines that surround it are a significant attraction too.  With several appealing routes to choose from, we pick one of the shortest.  If rains come in early, we can hope to get in dry; and if they don’t, we’ll have time for a short hike along the way.  

We leave Bernalda heading east, and almost immediately find ourselves surrounded by beautiful, open farmland - rolling wheat fields and poppies, small herds of cattle, eucalyptus stands.  It’s very colorful, and very quiet.  Memories of our stressful miles on the expressway quickly fade.

I can never remember what this sea-foam green crop is. You’d think it would stick - it’s such an unusual, distinctive hue.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This too reminds me of Puglia. We’re here about two weeks later than our first visit, when it felt like we were biking through a vast wildflower garden. I was afraid we might miss this show this time, but we’re experiencing a late spring.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The first seven miles of the day are essentially flat as we bike northwest atop a ridge enjoying broad, open views.   The Bradano River, which here forms the border between Basilicata and Puglia, flows five hundred feet below.  Then, we turn east, drop to the river, and begin the slow thousand foot climb to the historic ridgetop village of Montescoflioso.  We allow ourselves time for a short exploration before the darkening skies encourage us to move on.

Montescoflioso, high on the ridge on the opposite side of the Bradano River.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Someone will know what this is. I’m amazed that I could get this clear an image, as the birds are in a far off tree.
Heart 7 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltEuropean bee eater.

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/european-bee-eater-merops-apiaster
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanI love bee eaters, (not that they eat bees), because of their colorful plumage. We watched them for hours in Laos flying in and out of their nest holes in the banks of a river. There must be many models throughout the world.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanAren’t they the most beautiful birds though? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen one before, but I know what to watch for now. I was so startled by its color when it flashed by.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Some colorful entertainment distracts us from the pain of the climb as we approach Montescoflioso.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachel and Patrick HugensPatrick just took the picture because he remembered seeing it in your journal
R
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensI had forgotten this, and in fact had forgotten nearly everything about this magical day. Thanks for reminding me.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Bike with pillar, Montescoflioso
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Montescoflioso
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ride until now has been very pleasant, but once we start dropping from Montescoflioso it turns exceptional.  Between here and Matera we follow the western boundary of Murgia National Park.  Scenery is spectacular, as are the conditions - the darkening skies never develop rain, but are dramatic against the undulating fields to our left and the national park on the right.  Today’s video gives a nice feeling for how fine today’s ride was.

Most of the park is a wild, roadless area, but about halfway to Matera we come to an unpaved path that looks cyclable for a ways and decide to stop for an exploration.  We almost immediately encounter a pair of hikers that encourage us to continue on at least as far as the bridge and suggest that we might even see black storks. They look skeptical about the bikes though.

They were right to be skeptical.  A few hundred yards later it becomes clear that we’re using the wrong mode of transit.  We ditch the bikes in the bushes and walk down to the bridge where we stop for lunch.  No black storks at the moment, but other than that it feels perfect to us.

Before returning to the bikes we continue on the path and climb up the other side of the ravine, lured on by dramatic cliffs we can see just around at the bend.  Before long we come to a fine if precarious viewpoint, and look across the canyon at a few of the cave dwellings that this area is so famous for.

Dropping from Montescoflioso, we enjoy a stunning view across the Bradano valley.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Beautiful riding, as we gradually drop toward the national park.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking east across the national park toward the Puglian border. Just across the ridge the land drops into a deep limestone ravine.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Entering the national park, we find a short stretch of bikeworthy road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A part of this road in the park must be an old rail bed. Fifteen foot brick walls line either side of the path through a cut in the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Murgia National Park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch spot, in Murgia National Park. That staircase across the stream carved out of the granite is so interesting. Why here, and how long ago was it hewn from the rocks?
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Murgia National Park
Heart 3 Comment 0
A closer look at that staircase
Heart 4 Comment 0
Look closely at this road. The sides and roadbed are carved out of the rock.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We’re in a somewhat precarious position here, so Rachael takes the prudent approach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cliff dwellings, across the canyon. Note the chimney. Human history in Matera is very ancient, with signs of inhabitation going back seven thousand years. It’s one of the oldest continuously inhabited regions in the world.
Heart 7 Comment 0
A close-up of one of the cave entrances or windows.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Surveying the realm.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Surely this can’t be a Sicilian Fence Lizard - lizards could never swim across the Strait of Messina. Must be something related but new.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltItalian wall lizard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_wall_lizard

Caught (and released) a few when we were in Rome a number of years ago for our daughter's college graduation.

They are also established in the Cincinnati, OH area. I have observed them near the Lunken airport down there.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks! These all must be one big family that covers Italy and the Balkans. I wonder how far back it goes, and when they diverged.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonThe ones here were released "pets."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/08/31/they-came-italy-now-they-outnumber-us-all/591532001/
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The ride into Matera is fabulous as we continue to skirt the national park until we enter the outskirts of town and start another thousand foot climb.  What a splendid day!

Ahead of me, Rachael exercises this sheep dog protecting his flock.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Oh, really? This too?
Heart 7 Comment 2
Anne MathersWot?! Wild boars, oh my. We’ve been warned to be on the lookout for them here in Sardinia. They look so cute and friendly, but something tells me not to test that theory.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Anne MathersWe were pretty excited about this, alright. Rachael also saw a small group run across the road in front of her some days ago, and I was quite envious. Nice of this crowd to hang around for a portrait.

I don’t know about Sardinia, but years ago we were biking in the Corsican interior and we saw semi-wild pigs (not boars though) running though the streets in a mountain village. They ran into the door of the best hotel in town, and were shooed out a few minutes later by a woman wielding a broom.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The ride continues to be beautiful right up to the outskirts of Matera, visible high on the ridge to the right.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Matera!  What a place - you can’t imagine.  You’ll have to try though, until tomorrow when we’ll take the whole day to explore it.  In the meantime I’ll leave you this short video to tempt you to come back for more.  We heard this unusual street musician earlier, eerily (and jarringly, to my ears) playing his saw.  Now, he’s pantomiming to a recording of an earlier performance.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 28 miles, 2,600’ elevation gain; for the tour, 1,450 miles, 105,200’

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 1,450 miles (2,334 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Lyle McLeodHi there,
Kirsten here ,we are just about to get to Matera so I was reading you blog for your insights and finding them useful and very informative. Thank you.
The fellow pantomining playing the 'saw' is actually playing a theremin. A version of this instrument is played by the Beach Boys in 'Good Vibrations '. It is also played in most cheesy Sci fi movies! We saw a similarly aged fellow playing one in Brataslava a few years back. We will have compare pictures, maybe it's the same guy.😉.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodOh, that’s so great! What a good thing to know. I’ve never heard of this instrument. Great story about its development too. Thanks so much for identifying it for us.

And thanks for journaling your tour! I’ve been following it with great interest, especially the past week. We’re planning to end in Rome for next autumns tour, and I’m taking notes. We had planned to bike through Ariana and Benevente ourselves last year until we decided to reroute through the Gargano.

Have a great time in Puglia! I miss it already.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago