Looking back, looking ahead - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2019

Looking back, looking ahead

After a full month in Sicily, it’s time to move on.  I admit to having had some misgivings about returning so soon, after only three years, but it was really wonderful.  What a unique, special place.  I can imagine making it back a third time some year.  

We both had some misgivings too about coming so early in the season, a full month earlier than we were here last time, but that feels like the right decision now too.  We did some chilly nights early on and probably saw more unstable weather, but it is brilliant now and we’ve still got another month and a half in the region.  I think if I were coming only for one month though, I might center it on May instead of April.

We had a few deviations, but mostly we stuck with the plan we came in with.  I thought you might be interested in this consolidated map of our ride, created through RideWithGPS.  We created an ‘event’ of all of our daily routes, and then saved the image of the map (there’s no option to embed it as a dynamic map though, so it’s just a static picture).

Our loopy loop through Sicily. It’s faithful to our actual route, except for the stretch between Marsala and Agrigento where we hopped a train.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We’ll be back for a few days at the end of the tour, but now it’s time for something completely different.  We’ll be on the mainland for the next six weeks, looping through Calabria, Basilicata, Puglia, Basilica again, and finally Campania.  The provincial boundaries we’ll cross are choppy and irregular, so we’ll just lump them all as the southern mainland.  The other Kingdom of Sicily.

If we stick to plan, it will look something like this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0