In Lesina: Republic Day - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2019

In Lesina: Republic Day

Lesina is a pretty lakeside town, best known for its pastoral appeal and the birdlife on its waterfront.  Until Rachael’s brake issue interrupted our plans, we envisioned a relaxing two nights here, with Rachael taking a day ride while I poked around the waterfront.

However, the town is anything but quiet today.  It’s Republic Day, the Italian national holiday that’s analogous to our Fourth of July.  We enjoyed a nice afternoon stroll along the waterfront while waiting for the dinner hour, but the real story of the day was the Republic Day celebration.

In Lesina, the celebration is blended with a celebration of the town’s patron saint, San Primiano.  A major procession moves through the town at sundown, beginning with the arrival of the saint by boat.  Like other such Italian festivals, the procession is elaborate, with the saint carried by a team of bearers and accompanied by religious figures, a marching band, and an immense crowd.

We followed the procession partway through town, but eventually decided to retire to our room for the night.  Perhaps 90 minutes later the procession passed near our room, apparently destined for the saint’s church a few miles later.  Not long after, the sky lit up and we were kept awake by the sound of fireworks.  Our innkeeper had warned us of this when we first arrived: Boom, Boom!

We asked our host if there was a festival today. He laughed, nooded, and said Boom, Boom!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Very nice - an Belle Époque bicycle! Rachael wants one.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonMissed an old and new photo op?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh, drat! Yes, I did miss that.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The lakeside promenade, Lesina
Heart 5 Comment 0
Tradition fishing boats like this one line the waterfront.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wildlife info-board had a picture of black swans, but all we saw was this run of the mill white one. Still, pretty enough.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We were surprised by the lineup of shiny, massive tractors by the lake, with folks walking along admiring them. Remember this for later.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was surprised that Lamborghini made tractors as well as hot sports cars. An unusual product line.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsIt's kinda puny and not very manly-looking when compared to its larger brethren, isn't it? Perhaps the Lambo imprint was added by the owner as a joke?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Along the waterfront
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were surprised by this stylishly adorned craft, and mentally paired it with the wedding party by the church we passed earlier. Nope. Remember this for later.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This lovely pier extends far out to the lake, with no obvious purpose other than entertainment. We plan to walk out there ourselves after dinner.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A nice collection of nets and poles, with a portrait. Remember the portrait for later.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanI'm starting to forget what I was supposed to remember.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanYou can do it. It’s good exercise for the aging brain.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
I assume that these poles are related to the fishing industry somehow, but I can only guess at their purpose.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from our sidewalk table, at a small bistro named Bistro. It was the only place open we could find, other than bars. We enjoyed watching what we assumed was the evening passeggiata, but we were wrong. Remember this for later.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Foot traffic is building up on the pier. We assumed they were out to enjoy the imminent sunset, but we were again wrong. Remember this for later.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The sunset, when it did come, was spectacular.
Heart 6 Comment 0
After dinner, we walked out on the now congested pier. We puzzled over why everyone is looking to the right, while the sunset is behind them.
Heart 2 Comment 0
They’re waiting for the arrival of the town’s patron saint, San Primiano. You’ll recognize the ornamented boat and the Saint from earlier, naturally.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The arrival of San Primiano was great, but people really should look back on the splendid sunset too.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Saint passed beneath the pier, and once he moved on everyone rushes off the pier to join the huge crowd developing on the shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing. Lesina is really quite a small town. Almost everyone must be here tonight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Saint arrives at the shore, where an adoring crowd of thousands awaits him. He is wrestled up onto a large platform to an enthusiastic round of applause.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The procession begins. He and his folllowers will march through town for the next two hours.
Heart 3 Comment 0
San Primiano, the patron saint of Lesina. In the third century he and his two brothers were sentenced by Diocletian to be eaten by wild beasts in the arena, but the beasts refused to cooperate.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The procession moves on past the array of tractors you’ll remember from earlier. Their lights shine brightly and their horns blare deafeningly as the procession passes them. A priest walks down the line, shaking incense and bestowing a blessing on each tractor.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsWho even knew that tractors *had* horns, anyhow? Hardly seems like they'd be necessary in a tractor's ordinary surroundings.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
It’s getting late, so we and some of the other participants take our leave while the procession weaves through town. Along the way we pass the saint’s church, presumably the final destination of the procession.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lesina loves its patron saint.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Bruce LellmanGreat video! What an unusual thing.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanIsn’t this something? Quite deafening.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnI guess if you want to get your tractor blessed, this is an efficient way to do it!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnGreat video and photos to show what Republic Day and the celebration of San Primiano are all about!

What a cool experience.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYou’re right. I was sorry we left our tractor back home in storage. Another item to add to the packing list.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago