Grammichele - In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2019

Grammichele

So here’s a tip for those that want to include video in their posts: don’t make your video the initial entry, because there are no edit handles for it so you can’t add space above it or delete it.  I’m stuck with it here unceremoniously locked to the top without context, so I have no choice but to give Rachael the first word today.

Which isn’t actually all that bad, because I don’t have many of my own words to add anyway.  Between sleeping much more than usual and obsessing over the release of the Mueller Report I’ve done a poor job of time management, and unless I want to fall behind I don’t have time to add much other than the photos.

Quickly then: today’s ride was low on drama but high on scenic content.  A beautiful ride through the green Iblean mountains, with few specific details to report.  We’re ending the day in the small town of Grammichele, very happy to have arrived dry once again, and to have been warmly welcomed to a spacious room with an excellent heater and all the hot water we could want.  After two normal dinners, I seem to be back to my more or less normal health.  Rachael’s lacerations are healing well, and her knee is a bit bruised, very slightly swollen, but seemingly recovering well.  Life is good.

Looking east from a viewpoint on the edge of town, we can see the snowbound summit of Mount Etna. We probably wouldn’t have noticed this ourselves if Marco hadn’t pointed it out for us.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Corso Vittorio Emanuele, the Main Street through the small Sicilian baroque historical center. Like most towns in the region, this was all established in the wake of the 1693 earthquake.
Heart 4 Comment 0
San Sebastian Church sits on the town’s small central plaza.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Palazzolo Acreide, we follow the quiet, smooth SS124 for about 15 miles. After dropping about 600 feet we begin a 1500 foot climb out of the upper Apano valley, beginning with a diagonal ascent up this slope beneath the ridgetop town of Buscemi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gorgeous country, with many temptations to spend more time. Doesn’t that look like an inviting spot to hike on that overgrown road down there?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnYes! Inviting, indeed.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Today’s 1,500’ climb is nothing like yesterday’s, showing that no two are alike. A steady 4% grade, it takes little out of us but gives us a fine view of the surroundings when we reach the top. Green every direction you look.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The blades are spinning, and it’s fairly windy today. They’re a mixed bag for us because we keep changing our bearing as we execute a fifteen mile long semicircle leading up to the ridgetop town of Vizzini.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A
Leaving SS124, we follow an unnumbered, barely maintained road for the next half hour. Cows, green fields, potholes, puddles, and a single small pickup truck are our company. Our favorite type of road.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There’s a dry path through there, if you’re mindful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Better to take your time and keep an eye out for the road condition.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So much green, peppered with the occasional brown cow.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lunch break, looking up at Vizzini at the top of another 900’ climb. We eat enjoying the spectacular view of the town, contemplating how the climb will feel on a full stomach.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Partway up the modest climb to Vizzini. I could have made a complete post with just photos of this town, which is visible from multiple angles for almost half the day’s ride.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Vizzini from the back side, after we’ve crossed it’s ridge and have begun the descent to Grammichele. The cultivated swath covering the ridge in the foreground is a prickly pear orchard.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The country between Vizzini and Grammichele is very beautiful, I think. It’s especially augmented this afternoon by the darkening skies, which encourage us to keep our pace up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The long, gradual, lovely descent to Grammichele.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I wonder what these copper-hued trees are. They give this the feel of a scene in autumn. Any ideas?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltEmerging spring buds are often quite colorful. Here is one link with some info about the northeast US.


https://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/why_do_leaves_in_spring_sometimes_appear_more_red_than_green
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We’ve lost track now of how many days have ended up like this, with us racing for shelter and hoping we’ll arrive dry. This tour would feel quite different if we were to lose a few of these races, but so far our luck has held firm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sky is quite ominous as we near town, and it looks like a thunderstorm is imminent.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Grammichele is a small place, easy to navigate. At its center is this perfectly proportioned hexagonal plaza. It’s a lovely spot to sit at the end of the day as we wait for our restaurant to open, watching the small human drama and the hundreds of swifts maneuvering above.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Church of San Leonardo, Grammichele
Heart 1 Comment 0
Public spaces like this are one of my favorite spots to linger, watching life unfold at a gentle pace.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grammichele’s center after dark: the town hall, San Leonardo church, and a perfectly full moon.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 38 miles, 3,000’; for the tour:  684 miles, 44,200’

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 684 miles (1,101 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0