The Men, the Plan - John and Rick Bike Betwixt and Between Cleveland and Columbus OH, Hopefully Tornado-free - CycleBlaze

The Men, the Plan

Will God Laugh?

What Rick (left) and John (right) have fooled Zwift into thinking they look like.
Heart 0 Comment 0

John and Rick have known each other for 40 years now, and have stayed in contact even though Rick moved to Columbus OH from Maryland over 30 years ago. We've done many bike rides together and, along with a few other friends, two self-supported "credit card touring" rides across Virginia and around Lake Champlain in New York and Vermont.

What John (left) and Rick (right) really look like, as two thorns surrounding the beautiful rose (Carole).
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rick is much older than John, but both are in their early 60s. We are also both ham radio operators and get together many years to attend the annual Dayton/Xenia Hamvention where tens of thousands of radio nerds get  crazy each year. In 2017 we did a bit of biking  on the excellent rail trail system in Xenia on the day before the Hamvention and then actually biked into the Hamvention the next day.

This year we decided to add a four day self-supported ride from Cleveland to Columbus along the Ohio to Erie Trail.

The Cleveland to Columbus Portion of the Ohio to Erie Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

The itinerary so far:

  1. Cleveland to Akron - 41 miles
  2. Akron to Millersburg - 67 miles
  3. Millersburg to Mt. Vernon - 43 miles
  4. Mt. Vernon to Rick/Maggies house in Columbus - 43 miles

If we had more time, we would add a fifth day and bike the 60 miles to Rick's sisters house in Xenia. However,  I will need two days for the drive to/from Maryland, and we need a day for the Hamvention - four days of cycling is all that will fit.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rick TresslerExcellent write-up John! Looking forward to cranking out the miles with you on this trip. Should be a fun ride through the great state pf Ohio.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago