Waipiata to Oturehua - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 5 - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2021

Waipiata to Oturehua

Antiques and high points on the trail and we stop next door to a poet.

Day 5 

28 February Sunday 

Waipiata to Oturehua

Early inspection reveals a misty morning, but we aren’t too concerned as we’ve learned it will ‘burn off’ by midday. Outside, the sheep are munching contentedly on the grass. They are beautiful with big black heads and big eyes. Anyway their chewing reminds me that it’s time for tea and toast, prepared in the old wood  panelled kitchen. 

The Aucklanders, who had warned us about their potentially riotous noise, are up and about and we tell them we didn’t hear a thing- perhaps they are losing their touch.

Early morning munching.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Taking our leave of the old farmhouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The House of Pies- Waipiata Tavern.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today there are some large groups on the trail, mostly riding ebikes. The landscape is beautiful in colours of gold and tawny shades as we cycle up to the main road. We forge on through a herd of sheep and soon we’re back on the trail, with the fleeting question ‘Should we have bought one of the Tavern’s famous pies?’ Too late! 

Rodeo traffic above, bike beneath.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The long straight into Ranfurly.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Ranfurly isn’t far but we stop at The Old Curiosity Shop and museum first. We are shown over a 1934 6 cylinder, overhead valve Vauxhall, in the course of restoration, and there are also several other pieces of ancient machinery. The current challenge for the owner, who has an impressively flowing beard, is to rebuild a 19th century tobacco press. Ann looks inside the vast shed and is impressed by the quantity and arrangement of old collectables, all shiny clean and arranged in sets. Across the fields the local brick Catholic Church sits in solitary, if not splendour, at least solidity, but not without architectural appeal viewed from the rear. 

Tobacco press in need of repair- and tobacco leaves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
1934 Vauxhall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mighty 6 cylinder overhead valve motor.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The more modern Vauxhall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The modern Pennyfarthing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Catholic Church across the fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stop for supplies at Ranfurly, parking in the shade in front of the station. After we have a look at the museum of old railway pics. We try the seating in a recreation of an old railway carriage. Our bike seats are marginally more comfortable.

Old Ranfurly station.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail from here to Wedderburn is dominated by high ranges and wide plains- Maniatoto and Taieri. The Hawkdun range crosses above Wedderburn and Rough Ridge divides the Maniatoto and Ida. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The original station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It may look like just a shed....
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We lunch at Wedderburn in the shade of the large green shed, made famous by artist Graeme Sydney. There’s also the original station still standing, with office and reception area with the metal square for a stove. The sloped roof, weatherboard construction is of Vogel design. 

The high point of the trail at 618 metres is just 4 kilometres on and is reached without great effort. Then we cross the 45 degree latitude. This is the midway point between the equator and the South Pole and is indicated by a trail side marker.

Against an Otago skyline.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Highest point.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
45 degree latitude.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting room, now information point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The downhill requires concentration as the surface is quite rough.

Soon we are in Oturehua. Here at the local pub we take refuge from the afternoon heat and have a coffee underneath one of their umbrellas. We chat to a Hastings couple who are on a road and walking trip. Clearly there are lots of Kiwis exploring their own country. We also have a quick look at the historic general store.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Stopping to smell the roses at the tavern.
Heart 0 Comment 0


The Crows Nest, our stay for the night comprises a collection of cabins and a bunk room on a beautiful big property planted with a variety of flora, native and otherwise. Bill, the owner, is very welcoming and interesting to chat with. He’s had interesting past careers before ending up in this spot, and he might have done a lot worse than this beautiful valley. It’s a supportive and active community, he tells us- he even had poet Brian Turner living next door.

The Crows Nest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our table.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


We BBQ our dinner and add a salad and rice. There’s a clear sky before we turn in - promising another good day on the trail.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 168 km (104 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0