Day 4 - ending at Westville, IL - Northern Indiana on the Open Road - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2011

Day 4 - ending at Westville, IL

Posted via email Sat Sep 3 12:19:02 2011 PDT

Another day with a heat alert issued - starting at 11:00am. My plan to get around this was to leave early - get up at 3:00am. I was awake at 2:24am and got started packing. Had the tent empty at 3:12am, tent down at 3:33am, and the bike loaded at 3:50am. Left campsite at 3:59am, stopping to top-off water jug. Made it to the park exit at 4:20am. Headed south on County Highway 22. My LED headlamp attached to the front basket was working well as a headlight. Lots of stars and quiet. Almost 5:30am before a car passed me.

Turned east on CR-2700N. Sunrise was at 6:19am. I was surprised how quickly it went from "It's dark." to "I can see!", which occurred around 5:47am.

At County Highway 10, I turned south. Took a break sitting on a bench at Collison's veteran's memorial at 6:50am. Turned south at Newtown Road. It was a nice downhill for me all the way to the I-74 overpass.

They had a truck stop and a McDonald's. I decided on the truck stop for breakfast, getting there at 8:15am. I had their country-fried steak special. Wasn't able to eat all the American fries. I left at 9:30am, but then had to stop at the Dollar General Store next door for my favorite bike-trip foods: Beanee Weenees and ginger snaps.

Continued south out of town. Later turned east on a gravel road to get to Westville. It was now getting hot, and I was slowing down. Saw something in the road ahead. Turned out to be a pillow! Was it nap-time already?

Arrived in Westville at 12:13pm, and at their park (Zamberletti Park) at 12:40pm. I was able to get some shade and new cold water there. A lot of people riding bikes around town, and most of them on the sidewalks, so I did the same on my way north to Dairy Queen. I ordered a Bacon Cheese GrillBurger and large Root Beer Freeze.

Done at 1:40pm, and on my way back south. As I was passing Zamberletti Park, a young man mowing the grass pulled up to talk. He said Forest Glen Preserve (my destination) was just 30 minutes away by bike. I wasn't so sure, at least for me in this heat. It actually took me to 3:35pm to get to the entrance, but I had a short nap next to a township building on the way.

Checked in at the Ranger Station. The officer on duty told me to pick a site, set up, and come back to pay. He was interested in my trip and came out to look at my bike. I did a lot of looking around in the campground, eventually selecting electric site #8.

Back at the check-in, I paid and also splurged on a bag of ice. I made a lot of ice water, and ate a lot of ice, back at my site. Once again, I think the heat affected me more than I realized. I recovered enough to take a shower. Then to bed at 8:30pm.

Spent: $8.48 + 2 (breakfast), $3.28 (Dollar General), $7.90 (lunch at DQ), $20 (campsite fee), $2 (ice).

Went: 55 miles

Jeff

Day 4 - Penfield, IL to Westville, IL
Heart 0 Comment 0

+ plus signs indicate pictures added after returning home from the trip +

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
+ looking west from N800E Road - Vermilion County, IL +
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
+ Zamberletti Park - Westville, IL +
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
+ memorial to Westville Area Coal Miners - Westville, IL +
Heart 0 Comment 0
+ memorial plaque +
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

+ covered bridge at Forest Glen Preserve - Westville, IL +
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 161 miles (259 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve H71I saw your early morning departure and enjoyed the photos. Bike riding early morning, before sunrise is my favorite time to be out.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeff TeelTo Steve H71Steve,
This was the first time I tried a departure before sunrise. It was fun.
Jeff
Reply to this comment
11 months ago