Ouch! - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

December 7, 2011

Ouch!

Here is the stem of Dodie's bike, ground to bare metal on the bike rack.

Ouch!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is currently resting comfortably in the kitchen, warming up so that touchup paint can be applied.

This is a pretty trivial thing, though it is harsh to have happened to a one day old bike. On the other hand we have been reading some of the books we ordered from Amazon and that have now arrived in the mail. "Bicycle Touring Holland" by Katherine Widing, and "Cycling the Rhine Route", by John Powell are two examples. All the books agree: Do not leave your bike unattended, even locked, and certainly do not leave your packs unattended on the bikes. In smaller towns, maybe with two locks and no packs on the bikes you would have a chance, they say.

This has seriously freaked us out. All across rural North America and even in Seattle, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal, and Quebec City we have left our bikes and packs outside grocery stores and museums with just flimsy locks. How can we enjoy Europe if we have to be on high alert at all times? On the other hand, should anything happen to our beloved Bike Fridays and Ortlieb packs, the wailing would be so loud you would have to disconnect your speakers to carry on following this blog!

We are actually doomed now, because even if a lot of people write to reassure us, we will never be sure. It's crazy. Sitting here in the USA right now, we watch the billions being poured into Homeland Security and we are tempted to think these people are paranoid, they need to get a life. But paranoia is so seductive. Remember "For What It's Worth":

Paranoia strikes deep

Into your life it will creep

Starts when you're always afraid

You step out of line, the man come and take you (Bike Friday) away.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0