Montana - this could be exotic for somebody! - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2012

Montana - this could be exotic for somebody!

Our plan is to not make any reports about this trip until we either start pedalling (or at least take the bikes on a bus, train, or plane) or we run into something generally interesting.

Almost by definition there can't be much of general interest in hanging out in Montana, USA, where we are now. Or, is that really so?

Today was the first Farmers' Market of the year in Missoula, and it struck me that if you are in New Zealand, or Vietnam, or somewhere, there could be something interesting in it.

So, not to go into it in too much detail, here is a taste of early Spring at the Farmers' Market in exotic Missoula, Montana:

"A River Runs Through It" was the name of a short story that became a movie. The "River" was the Blackfoot, which runs in to the Clark Fork near here. Downtown Missoula is on the shores of the Clark Fork, and it is a hot spot for kayakers.

Kayaker uses an eddy to hold position in the flooding Clark Fork River
Heart 0 Comment 0

If our trip is to be "powered by pastries" we will have to find cheaper fuel than the croissants on offer at the market here.

Darn expensive croissants
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a fairly strong bicycle culture in this town, and it is much in evidence at the farmers' market. The child's seat is hard to spot in this photo, but it was in front of the rider. The very sturdy trailer seemed to be a commercial effort, but there were no brand names visible.

Practical trailer and child seat arrangement
Heart 0 Comment 0

All sorts of cultural and economic change result from war. The Vietnam war resulted in immigration from Southeast Asia. The Hmong people are an ethnic minority that mostly live in China. Four million do live in Thailand, Burma, Laos and Vietnam, where they immigrated during the 19th century. There, they existed mostly as farmers living in rural areas.

The first Hmong migration of notable size to the United States began with the fall of Saigon and Laos to Communist forces in 1975. Many Hmong had worked with pro-American anti-Communist forces during the conflicts in Vietnam and Laos. The immigrants got dispersed in pockets around the US, and some were received in Missoula.

Hmong immigrants are now stalwarts in the small farming community
Heart 0 Comment 0

Some stalls had Montana native plants. As Northern perennials they are not very showy, but Dodie snapped up a pile anyway.

Native Montana plants on sale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresh early season produce
Heart 0 Comment 0

Walking in the Spring weather and at the farmers' market, I realized that in a week we will be 2500 miles from this place, in a different environment and culture. A week after that, a further 5000 miles away! It's a challenge of travel to fully absorb and hold on to where you are now, while always having someplace new on the horizon.

Avi's parka betrays the cool weather, but parent's garden mania is hard to restrain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0