Day 78: Irdning, Austria: The Dachstein! - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2012

Day 78: Irdning, Austria: The Dachstein!

Dodie's father, Walter, had to leave Europe in 1939 under the most tragic of circumstances. He left behind his wife, mother, and brother and never saw them again. He started a new life in Canada, and Dodie is one of the products of that life. He seldom spoke in detail about the past, but of course he never forgot his life here. In his last two weeks he spoke often to Dodie of it.

One of our objectives on this ride has been to revisit Walter's land, and some specific places where we know he had been. One of those places is the Dachstein mountain range. The Dachstein massif covers an area of around 20×30 km with dozens of peaks above 2,500 m, but there is one peak, the highest, that is commonly called just the Dachstein. We had passed close to the Dachstein as we came down the valley to Irdning, but left it about 40 km behind.

The Dachstein can be accessed by a gondola that leaves from near the little town of Ramsau. Christian and Birgit took us there, with the kids, and we all rode to the top. If you are very tough and have four hours to spare, you could conceivably climb to the cable car station. Otherwise, the fare is also "steep", about 20 Euros each.

Ramsau is a tourist town, but it also another example of what I now know is called the "Alm" - the landscape of mountain huts and alpine meadows. Ramsau also features lots of buildings that are in no way "huts" being large Gasthofs of three stories, with balconies and floods of flowers.

The cable car station gives access to the glacier behind the steep south face that it ascends. On the glacier, it is possible to ski and also to set off for the true summit. If you are double tough, you can reach that summit (with a guide and ropes) in a couple of hours. If you are not tough, you can walk to a spot where a tunnel leading to a series of caves has been carved into the heart of the glacier. This is the Ice Palace, where a display of ice carvings has been made. Right now the display features ancient Egypt. Go figure.

At the top we scattered some ashes, and played a recording of Walter's voice. It felt good to have his voice once again heard where he once walked.

Walter, in the mountains
Heart 1 Comment 0
The road to the Dachstein is twisty and steep (and costs 6 euros!)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kids get on their tough boots
Heart 1 Comment 0
We head for the cable car
Heart 0 Comment 0
Father and son
Heart 1 Comment 0
This poster at the base of the mountain shows your location at the "standort". The cable station is up at the black X
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pricey tickets to the top
Heart 0 Comment 0
We headed for the lonely mountains!
Heart 0 Comment 0
..or you can walk this trail (at first).
Heart 0 Comment 0
The glacier behind the south face, with Grimming in the background
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cafe at the top of the world
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Dachstein
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our climbing team
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grampies, Birgit, and kids near the entrance to the ice tunnel
Heart 1 Comment 0
Laurie, do not translate this!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Laurie! Do not translate this one either!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Grampies, needing ice tires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking the glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walter's voice at 3000 meters was good to hear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Into the glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ice tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
King of the Ice Palace
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look closely, doh!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ice palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crazyguy on a mountain!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ice Princess
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the cable
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cow is part of the "Alm"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spinat Knoedln at the Alpengasthof Glos Alm restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Schladming, on the way back from the Dachstein
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bit of downtown Schladming
Heart 0 Comment 0
Schladming will host the 2013 World Ski Championships. That will be a big thing in this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped off at Opa and Oma's house in Oblarn. Tobias received a new digital camera. Do you think he likes it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aunt Leni and Oma Lini
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0