Day 53: L'Ille sur Doubs to Mulhouse, France: That's - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2012

Day 53: L'Ille sur Doubs to Mulhouse, France: That's

The Rhone to Rhine canal remains the story as far as cycling went this day.

The Rhone to Rhine Canal will lead us all the way to Mulhouse (which is on the Rhine, duh)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken and Sue (our Canadian doubles) head off for Mulhouse at high speed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

THe signage is mostly good, and there are few villages or much of anything to interrupt your rhythm. Well ok, there is the misleading signage near Voujeaucourt

At Voujeaucourt do not fall for the detour sign but go over this new cycle bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And you have to keep your head up, else you will be mowed down by oncoming traffic, whether a pelleton of mad cyclists or a gaggle of mad in line skaters.

A referee will need to make measurements with the photo to see if any toes of the skaters are over the centre line. Even if not, they sure are a disconcerting gaggle of flying arms and legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is something that keeps distraction out of the way:

We have seen a lot of neat cycle path infrastructure in the past, but how about this custom sheep overpass on the veloroute!
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Montbeliard we came across a small tourist info office that was good. Not only was the lady interested in our trip in her region, but they had Eurovelo 6 maps for sale at the non ripoff price of 2 euros. There were also lovely flowers all around:

At Montbeliard the welcome at the Tourist Information was warm, and they had EV maps for sale individually at 2 Euros. Lots of flowers too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Also at Montbeliard there is a lovely park along the route and a science discovery centre for kids.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With a second EV 6 Map 6 in hand, we could both have one to look at, presumably reducing our chances of getting lost. HA!

At a point where we were pretty sure we knew where we were and what we were doing, we met David Searle, riding an old 3 speed British bike. David was visiting friends on a canal boat and was taking time to go find and see the Peugeot factory and museum in Sochaux, a little north of where we were. Buoyed by David's detailed map, we set off in search of this wonderful thing about which we had known nothing.

Dodie and David Searle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did find the factory and the museum.

At Sochaux, the new Peugeots are lined up ready to go. Yesterday we watched a train go by with several hundred identical Peugeots on board.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Peugeot factory.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peugeot museum - we had to fight our way up steps and through three roundabouts to get here, but it was worth it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I would characterize the museum as very deep but not broad. It is a fascinating display of many of Peugeot's products, from saws to pepper and coffee grinders, to of course cars and bikes. There are hundreds of cars in mint condition, dating from 1905 on. Many (most) are works of design art. It is unbelievable that they have been able to be preserved.

On the other hand, there is little about the company operations or philosophy or really much about its history. Still, it was fabulous and well worth it.

Here is some of what we saw. If there are no captions, we are just inviting you to look at the beautiful objects.

Peugeot is a family company that has been lead by a string of family members for over 100 years
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many cases of these model vehicles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous lion came in many styles, some with very sharp teeth!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The museum was arranged in part by era, starting with 1905-1918.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peugeot also made saws, pepper mills, and almost anything where the major component was steel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zoom on this for more info about the plane engines
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A kids bike, produced from 1977 to 1984
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the "Peugeot" I remember from when I was a kid. In Canada, Peugeot does not seem to be sold any longer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An early electric model
Heart 1 Comment 0
Look Avi, a red Peugeot fire truck
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is very close to the Peugeot model I bought in 1974
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hey Michel Fleurance, look a this trike!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This electric concept car has its front facing the camera.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many bike ads
Heart 0 Comment 0
The latest concept bike. Can I put panniers on that?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peugeot lions in the gift shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
This book covers the Peugeot history at Sochaux. Naturally we were ignorant of the whole thing until just today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Coming back from Sochaux, we decided on a "shortcut". This resulted in us wandering for an hour and doing some "exciting" hill climbs. Finally we got back on the (right) canal!

Hightailing it down the canal after an hour lost near Allenjoie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw out first sign offering a "zimmer". Right now its tri-lingual but we take it as an indication that Germany must be drawing near.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal is beautiful and the countryside pleasant, but now nothing looks really Swiss or German.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are still a fair number of people and families idly fishing by the canal. We are not sure if these guys were throwing back bait or sorting though their actual catch. Still the little girl was really enjoying herself.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brunstatt. All the place names have turned Germanic, but we are still searching for the look we have seen in movies.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made it to Mulhouse, but having just really blown in off the veloroute, we have little idea of where we really are. We know that Germany is just over "there" across the Rhine and Switzerland is to the south a a bit.

Mulhouse. We made it. 90 km - not so far in terms of last year, but somehow far for this year.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By tomorrow we no doubt will have lots to report. But for now (with internet running out fast), live and direct from our office in Mulhouse, this is goodnight!

Our office in the sanitary block at Mulhouse Camping
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our house at Mulhouse. You can also see the tents of Jo and Marc, and even Jo, Marc, and Dodie if you squint.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 2,259 km (1,403 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0